Relation between Ansible and SDN

nabil hama

Apr 20, 2020, 6:25:37 AM4/20/20
to Ansible Project
Hello,

Please, could explain to me, that is the relation between Ansible and SDN, how it can work together? with what architecture?

thanks in advance

BR

Dick Visser

Apr 20, 2020, 7:02:09 AM4/20/20
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
That is a very generic question - can you be (a lot) more specific?

Dick Visser
Trust & Identity Service Operations Manager
GÉANT

nabil hama

Apr 20, 2020, 7:33:03 AM4/20/20
to Ansible Project

Le lundi 20 avril 2020 11:25:37 UTC+1, nabil hama a écrit :
Hello,

Thanks Dick for your feedback.

my question is as follow :

I have confusion between the utilization of Ansible and  SDN,   As long as the SDN offers network automation, optimization and high flexibility, what is the role of Ansible in that network?  are two different subjects and work totally separately?

Hope I was more clear

Many thanks in advance

BR

Dick Visser

Apr 20, 2020, 7:55:09 AM4/20/20
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hi

To me this is still too generic.
I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

Karl Auer

Apr 20, 2020, 8:47:32 AM4/20/20
to ansible-project
There is no relationship between Ansible and SDN.

Ansible is a general tool. There may be Ansible modules that allow you to manipulate particular SDNs.

I suggest you start by googling "Ansible SDN" and see where the journey takes you.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer { manager, systems support }
P: 1300 759 975
E: ka...@2pisoftware.com
2pisoftware.com

GPG/PGP : DF6A 43E5 FB9D D884 C6CA CD7F 5278 212D E80F C107
Previous: 301B 1F4E 624D AD99 242C 7A68 EC24 7113 E854 4A4E

Karl Auer

Apr 20, 2020, 9:09:04 AM4/20/20
to ansible-project
Hullo Nabil.

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 13:44, nabil hama <nab....@gmail.com> wrote:>
I have confusion between the utilization of Ansible and  SDN,   As long as the
SDN offers network automation, optimization and high flexibility, what is the
role of Ansible in that network?  are two different subjects and work totally
separately?

They are two different subjects and work totally separately. However, if you can find (or write!) Ansible modules that manipulate SDNs, you could then use Ansible to do that.

Regards, K.

nabil hama

Apr 20, 2020, 9:59:52 AM4/20/20
to Ansible Project
Hello Karl,

Effectively, I google it, I understood for Ansible but not the relation between it and SDN.  Apart Cisco who talked about this topic, no other person talking about this subject.

Many thanks for feedback, which very helpful for me.

best regards

Le lundi 20 avril 2020 14:09:04 UTC+1, Karl Auer a écrit :
Hullo Nabil.

Albert Short

Apr 20, 2020, 10:36:20 AM4/20/20
to Ansible Project
There are a number of vendors that use Ansible for SDN automation.

Cisco as you mentioned for ACI & or traditional networking
Cumulus Networks also uses Ansible
If you wanted you could use it for NSX but vRa may help you there.

There are git repositories, just need to know where to look :)

nabil hama

Apr 20, 2020, 10:44:08 AM4/20/20
to Ansible Project

Hello Albert,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Please do know how it works (using Ansible for SDN automation)? if not, do you know where can I find this details?

Thanks in advance

BR

Phil Griffiths

Apr 20, 2020, 12:58:58 PM4/20/20
to Ansible Project
Nabil

As with everything Ansible it comes down to the modules- this is a link to the complete list: https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/list_of_all_modules.html
Have a look through there for anything SDN related for the solution you're looking for. There is no such generic 'sdn' module(s) so you need to look at vendor specific ones (if they exist)

Regards
Phil.

Albert Short

Apr 21, 2020, 2:05:57 AM4/21/20
to Ansible Project
Nabil,

as Phil has mentioned, Ansible uses modules & depending which vendor's SDN solution you decide to use, you use the appropriate module.

You can find quite a few Cisco ACI & MSO modules ofr Ansible 2.9 or like in Cumulus just 1 module.

The closest you can get to a 'SDN' generic module would likely be the 'uri', where you can use the typical POST,DELETE,QUERY functions for API.

I have built Ansible playbooks using both ACI/MSO modules & the 'uri' module where either MSO module did not exist (pre-2.9 version) or I created some very specific plays where no module was available & the 'uri' fitted the need.

Hope this helps