Lorin Hochstein

Nov 20, 2014, 1:30:38 PM11/20/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to load facts for a host that are defined in a JSON file on the control machine. The json file (along with the playbooks) is in a repo that multiple people can check out, and so I don't want to require that each user who checks out the repo copies this file to /etc/ansible/facts.d.

Is there another way to load a JSON file that lives on the control machine and use its contents to populate variables?

I ended up writing a custom facts module to do this, but it seems like overkill.

Lorin

Brian Coca

Nov 20, 2014, 1:32:52 PM11/20/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
you can load it as extra vars with -e @/pathto/jsonfile.json

Brian Coca

Lorin Hochstein

Nov 20, 2014, 1:44:11 PM11/20/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Is there a way to specify this in the playbook itself (other than in the shebang)?  Something like vars_files that speaks json?

Brian Coca

Nov 20, 2014, 2:05:18 PM11/20/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
considering that json is a subset of yaml, you should be able to load them.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Lorin Hochstein