Please explain ec2_instance volumes config

Bruce Affonso

Aug 11, 2018, 8:57:46 PM8/11/18
to Ansible Project
I am trying to use the ec2_instance module to create an ec2 instance.  When using the ec2 module to configure a volume one would do something like this:

volumes:
  - device_name: /dev/sda1
    volume_type: gp2
    volume_size: 50

With ec2_instance I am not sure how to set the values.

In the description it says:

A list of block device mappings, by default this will always use the AMI root device so the volumes option is primarily for adding more storage.
A mapping contains the (optional) keys device_name, virtual_name, ebs.device_type, ebs.device_size, ebs.kms_key_id, ebs.iops, and ebs.delete_on_termination.

Please let me know how I would set the info from above example using the ec2_instance module.

Thank you

Karl Auer

Aug 12, 2018, 1:26:57 AM8/12/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's not clear. And is made worse by the fact that there are STILL no ec2_instance examples! The examples given are ec2_instance_facts examples.

Regard, K.

Karl Auer

Email  : ka...@2pisoftware.com
Website:
http://2pisoftware.com

GPG/PGP : 958A 2647 6C44 D376 3D63 86A5 FFB2 20BC 0257 5816
Previous: F0AB 6C70 A49D 1927 6E05 81E7 AD95 268F 2AB6 40EA

Jonathan Lozada De La Matta

Aug 12, 2018, 9:54:00 AM8/12/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
please submit an issue or a PR to update the docs if you have examples or figure out how it should be.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Bruce Affonso <bruce....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

AUTOMATION CONSULTANT - AUTOMATION PRACTICE

Red Hat Consulting Services

jloz...@redhat.com

Sakthivel G

Aug 12, 2018, 12:09:08 PM8/12/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

/dev/sda is reserved for root.

Please try below...
# Single instance with ssd gp2 root volume
- ec2:
    key_name: mykey
    group: webserver
    instance_type: c3.medium
    image: ami-123456
    wait: yes
    wait_timeout: 500
    volumes:
      - device_name: /dev/xvda
        volume_type: gp2
        volume_size: 8
    vpc_subnet_id: subnet-29e63245
    assign_public_ip: yes
    count_tag:
      Name: dbserver
    exact_count: 1

Karl Auer

Aug 12, 2018, 5:55:09 PM8/12/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
You may need to specify /dev/sda1 still, if you want to attach a larger root volume than the AMI provides, or a volume with characteristics the default volume does not have.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer

Aug 12, 2018, 6:21:05 PM8/12/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Well, I don't know what I was looking at, but now there ARE ec2_instance examples. I haven't checked them out beyond noting that at least they are not ec2_instance_facts examples :-)

Maybe I was looking at older documentation.

As soon as I logged into github I found the previous bug report on this issue.

Regards, K.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:53 PM, Jonathan Lozada De La Matta <jloz...@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Lozada De La Matta

Kiran Sonawane

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 2:00:41 AM8/13/18
to Ansible Project
It's free version having default setting .

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 2:03:30 AM8/13/18
to Ansible Project
I have free account so only default instances can be created but I changed Root Password To Root before starting so there should not be permission issue but it gives me an permission issue.

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 2:11:27 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hullo Kiran Sonawane.

Jonathan Lozada De La Matta was actually speaking to me about the doco issue. But send your stuff, we'll see if we can answer your question.

Regards, K.

Jonathan Lozada De La Matta

Aug 13, 2018, 2:17:10 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Kiran,

Your issue seems to be more an issue about connecting right to the aws vm than ansible. Did you create the keys, downloaded them, ssh-add and connecting as the right user? are you using -K and escalating correctly?

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 3:09:39 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
now I tried connection ec2 instance from putty. then i followed all the steps in all videos on youtube its giving the following error.

(ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).

Jonathan lozada de la matta

AUTOMATION CONSULTANT - AUTOMATION PRACTICE

Red Hat Consulting Services

jloz...@redhat.com

Capture.PNG

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 4:14:43 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hullo Kiran Sonawane

"permission denied"
is good! It means that you do have network connectivity to the instance. It also means that either the username OR the private key (OR both :-) are incorrect.

Turn on all the debugging you can find in putty, try connecting again, and post the debug output here.

This page really has everything you need:

And this page will help you if you still have issues:

Regards, K.

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 4:29:30 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I didn't notice your attachment, sorry.

The attachment indicates that you are not specifying the private key!

Copy the key (that you downloaded when you created the instance) into ~/.ssh. Set it's permissions to "-rw-------":

cp /path/to/downloaded/keyfile.pem ~/.ssh
chmod u=rw,go= ~/.ssh/keyfile.pem
Then specify the key when connecting:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/keyfile.pem ubu...@18.191.217.98

You can make life simpler by creating a file called ~/.ssh/config and putting this in it:

Host myhost
HostName 18.191.217.98
User ubuntu
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/keyfile.pem

Then you can just say:

ssh myhost

Obviously replace "myhost" with whatever name you prefer, and "keyfile.pem" with the actual name of the private key file.

Setting up putty takes longer, partly because you have to convert the private key, but once set up it's just point and click to connect.

Regards, K.

Kiran Sonawane

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 5:12:57 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hullo Kiran Sonawane

I'm puzzled. How did you download the .pem file onto an instance you have no access to?

There are two parts to a key pair in AWS.

The PUBLIC part will be placed on the instance by AWS as it is created, as an entry in ~ubuntu/.ssh/authorized_keys

The PRIVATE part will be offered to you for download when you create it - whether you create it using the CLI, an API or the Console. That PRIVATE part will be called something.pem.

Please confirm that the .pem file offered to you when you created the keypair is on the remote server - that you have no access to.

If you really have no access to the server the .pem file is on, you will be unable to access the instance without going through a relatively complicated recovery process. It's generally simpler to create a new instance.

Regards, K.

Jonathan lozada de la matta

AUTOMATION CONSULTANT - AUTOMATION PRACTICE

Red Hat Consulting Services

jloz...@redhat.com

Karl Auer

Email  : ka...@2pisoftware.com
Website:
http://2pisoftware.com

GPG/PGP : 958A 2647 6C44 D376 3D63 86A5 FFB2 20BC 0257 5816
Previous: F0AB 6C70 A49D 1927 6E05 81E7 AD95 268F 2AB6 40EA

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 5:15:40 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
i created config file in .ssh folder but now i'm getting error

/root/.ssh/config line 4: Missing argument.

I'm sending you config files cat screen shot and error screen shot

thanx in advance

Kiran Sonawane

Kiran Sonawane

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 5:54:19 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
should I mention any path for IdentityFile ?

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 6:11:15 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Test the connection first using this command:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/keyfile.pem ubu...@18.191.217.98

If that works, then the "User" is ubuntu, the "HostName" is 18.191.217.98, and the "IdentityFile" is  "~/.ssh/keyfile.pem".

If you are concerned about the pem-file location, give the fully qualified path to it. By the way, the permissions MUST BE CORRECT on the .pem file, or ssh will not use it. Also, be careful with spaces in the config file. Each keyword is followed by a space, then a value.

Is the target system, i.e., the system you are trying to connect TO, an Ubuntu Linux system?
Also, if you are using a command-line ssh, please add the argument "-vvv" and post the output here. Like this:

ssh -vvv -i ~/.ssh/keyfile.pem ubu...@18.191.217.98

Regards, K.

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 6:26:06 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I just tried what you said and it just forced log out of Superuser then all the copied .pem file and id_rsa.pub key all are gone It's been a week I'm only trying to ssh from one instance to another now its seems it's not that worth of time. I'm sanding you  screen shot. thanx

Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 6:48:45 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hullo again.

Configuration files need to be copied exactly and accurately. Look at the config file you sent - it does not match the formatting I sent, unless email screwed it up. Each line - Host, Hostname, User and IdentityFile, must be on a separate line. The value for each keyword should be on the same line as the keyword, separated from it by a space. It looks to me as if the IdentityFile line has a line break in it - fix that. Also - just for neatness, not sure it's actually necessary - indent the three lines after the Host line.

Now on to your login: It looks to me as if it worked. You have successfully logged in to 18.222.132.35.

I suggest you correct the permissions on Insta_1.pem (use 600 instead of 400, but as you can see it works either way with sudo, because root can read anything).

What files are you saying are "all gone"? Gone from where?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 7:03:29 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it "logged you out of superuser" - I think it logged you into the remote system :-)

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 7:31:24 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I already did that all changes, made the path on same line. Then I changed permissions to from 777 to 666
Then I again changed to 400. Nothing worked. I just don't understand what's happening?
All the files from /.ssh are gone. Id_rsa, Id_rsa.pub, my  .pem file config file all are not there when I automatically logged out of root.

[...]

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 7:46:25 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Look carefully at the pictures you sent me. They show, very clearly, that you have successfully logged into 18.222.132.35.

The reason you think things are "gone" is because those things exist on your source system, not on your target system.

From the command prompt "ubuntu@ip-172-31-23-215" type "exit" and press return. You will find yourself back on your source system, and the "missing" items will be there. They never left - you did :-)

[...]

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 9:43:31 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I mean i was loged out as root user and become normal use. I didn't really go to my remote machine. but I'm sending you screen shots of my cmd where i changed Insta_1.pen to 600 then try to shh -i  ~/.ssh/Insta_1.pem ubuntu@publicIP and it did the same thing as last time.
Logged out of super user and vanished my .pen file.
I really have no idea what's happening. please tell me what exactly happening, i'm doing something wrong ?

Thanx You're really helping me so much.

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 9:51:39 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I'm Constantly getting this window. What is this ? sending a new screen shot

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 9:58:18 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
I made Changes in my sshd_config file like yes to passwordauthentication and bunch of as shown on youtube. is that problem ? because it won't be here it'll give permission errors then .

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 10:06:47 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Even now I directly tried without being an root user but it still shows the same thing . my last logged in details. but before that it may be connect to the client since there were no errors shown. so now I'm completely confused and tried every combination in this week. but no idea what exactly is happening.

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 13, 2018, 10:07:39 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
sorry i forgot screen shot attachment
without being sudo (root) user it still shows the same result.PNG

Karl Auer

Aug 13, 2018, 11:42:08 AM8/13/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Please do this:

Use the AWS EC2 Console to find out the public and private addresses of the system you want to connect FROM. We will call this system "system A". Please post those details here.

Use the AWS EC2 Console to find out the private and public addresses of the system you want to connect TO. We will call this system "system B". Please post those details here.

Regards, K.

PS: You do not need PasswordAuthentication, and you should revert any changes you have made to ssh_config or sshd_config.

Kiran Sonawane

Aug 14, 2018, 1:26:28 AM8/14/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Karl. I just tried Doing the same thing with newly created Instances but same error, you're right though we don't have to change anything in sshd_config.

Now I'm sending you screen shots of Master and Client1 instances Public Private IP's .

Client_IP.PNG
Master_IP.PNG
Same_Issue_New_day.PNG

Karl Auer

Aug 16, 2018, 11:57:36 PM8/16/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
So:

"System A" is the one you call "Master", and has public IP 18.191.161.9. It has the private IP address 172.31.20.219.

"System B" is the one you call "Client", and has the private IP address 172.31.24.31. I know this because before you changed the prompt to "Client@", the prompt was "root@ip-172-31-24-31:~#".

You were logged into System A, and you ran ssh to connect to 18.222.135.76. The next command prompt you saw was "ubuntu@ip-172-31-24-31:~$". See above - that IP address, 172.31.24.31, is System B.

In other words, you were on System A, ran ssh, and ended up logged into System B. Success!

I do not understand what error you think you are seeing. This is how it is supposed to work.

Remember: You logged into System B as "ubuntu", not "root". So you were in a different home directory, with a different ~/.ssh directory.

Also remember that although you are connecting to a public address, in the AWS universe instances don't know about their own public (or EIP) IPv4 addresses. That is why when you are logged in to AWS instances, you can see only their private addresses.

Regards, K.

PS: None of the steps you did on System B ("Client") were needed.

Bruce Affonso

Aug 26, 2018, 1:42:23 PM8/26/18
to Ansible Project

I think this thread got derailed - so is there a way to configure volume with the ec2_instance module?

It works with ec2 module but hoping to use the ec2_instance module since it uses boto3 which I am told would help me workaround an issue I am having launching ec2 instances from a server with IAM role attached vs access/secret keys.

Badraj Angirekula

Aug 27, 2018, 5:27:16 AM8/27/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
please help me.

Build ec2 instances with attaching multiple tags names :-
  For example- I have launched one ec2 instance with tag name "websever1" the next builds of ec2 instances should start with tag name webserver2 , webserver3 .... automatically.

Note: No two ec2 instances have same tag name.