Use of Ansible under PowerVC

Bernard Tremblay

Jan 16, 2019, 5:19:03 PM1/16/19
to Ansible Project
Hi,

We are trying to use ansible in a PowerVC environment.
We have a cluster of Power machines connected to a SAN box, we run SLES linux and Windows server to use SAP stuff.
I would like to find any resources/documentation/Playbooks/Roles about using ansible in that context.

Anybody knows if it is possible to create VM using the REST API of  PowerVC and is there any documentation somewhere in this galaxy ?

Don't be rude, I'm new to this list and a newbie trying to move old stuff to Devops.

Any pointers are welcome,

           Thank you BT.

Hugo Gonzalez

Jan 16, 2019, 5:43:27 PM1/16/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com

Hello Bernard,

On 1/16/19 4:19 PM, Bernard Tremblay wrote:
Hi,

We are trying to use ansible in a PowerVC environment.
We have a cluster of Power machines connected to a SAN box, we run SLES linux and Windows server to use SAP stuff.
I would like to find any resources/documentation/Playbooks/Roles about using ansible in that context.

Anybody knows if it is possible to create VM using the REST API of  PowerVC and is there any documentation somewhere in this galaxy ?

From https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSVSPA_1.3.2/com.ibm.powervc.cloud.help.doc/powervc_pg_kickoff_cloud.html

"You can use several types of interfaces to build solutions on top of PowerVC:
Supported OpenStack APIs - These APIs are a subset of the APIs provided by OpenStack and can be used with PowerVC without any modifications.
Extended OpenStack APIs - These APIs are a subset of the APIs provided by OpenStack, but their functions are extended by PowerVC.
PowerVC APIs - These APIs do not exist in OpenStack and are exclusive to PowerVC."

I suggest you start by browsing through the OpenStack modules in Ansible.:

https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible/latest/

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/list_of_cloud_modules.html#openstack

Bernard Tremblay

Jan 17, 2019, 11:02:01 AM1/17/19
to Ansible Project
Thanks for the info.  I'll start looking at OpenStack APIs first ont the IBM support site.