ansible windows inventory get hostname/user/password ad-hoc from external script

16 vues

Gregory Storme

non lue,
17 mars 2020, 15:49:0117/03/2020
à Ansible Project
Hi,

We have a couple of hundred Windows hosts, with each host having different credentials (both login and password), which are stored in an on-premise, in-house developed "vault" system.
A dream scenario would be to install win32-openssh on all of them, and use ssh key authentication :) however until there's MSI(X) support for win32-openssh and/or it goes out of beta, this is not an option.

We have an API to access our vault, which returns the hostname/username/password for the host.
As a workaround now, I've written a simple wrapper for ansible-playbook which works, but the disadvantage is that each host is a new playbook run.
I'm looking for a solution to run a playbook, and where ansible polls the hostname/username/password for each alias in the ansible inventory.
Tried looking to patch the winrm.py connection plugin, but this didn't work, and I think it would poll for each task that's executed by the winrm plugin instead of only once?

Solution I'm using now:

ansible hosts file:

[windows]
L001
L002
L003

ansible-playbook wrapper:

#!/bin/bash

CONNECTION="ansible_connection=winrm ansible_port=5985 ansible_winrm_transport=credssp"

for host in `cat ~/.ansible/hosts`
  do
    SECRET=`/opt/scripts/vault-functions/bin/console app:get-admin-credential --tag=$host`
    HOST=`echo $SECRET | cut -d ';' -f1`
    LOGIN=`echo $SECRET | cut -d ';' -f2`
    DOMAIN=`echo $SECRET | cut -d ';' -f3`
    PWD=`echo $SECRET | cut -d ';' -f4`

    if [ -z "$DOMAIN" ]; then
      ansible-playbook -i ~/.ansible/hosts ~/.ansible/windows.yml -e "ansible_host=$HOST ansible_user=$LOGIN ansible_password=$PWD $CONNECTION"
    else
      ansible-playbook -i ~/.ansible/hosts ~/.ansible/windows.yml -e "ansible_host=$HOST ansible_user=$LOGIN@$DOMAIN ansible_password=$PWD $CONNECTION"
    fi
  done

This works, but as stated before this runs an ansible-playbook for each host.
Could someone point me in the right direction on how to be able to run an ansible-playbook, upon which ansible does a lookup of the ansible_hostname/ansible_user/ansible-password during the connection phase to the host?

Important detail, once a secret is requested from our vault, the password will be reset within a couple of hours. So it's not possible for us to build a static (encrypted) inventory.
Building a dynamic inventory is also not desired, because of the large amount of hosts and the time it takes to request the credentials, this would take too long and by the time it's finished, it's possible the credentials of the first hosts have already been reset.

So I'm looking for something that can pull data ad-hoc upon the ansible connection, like the wrapper above does, but whilst staying in 1 playbook run ... tips are much appreciated!

J Hawkesworth

non lue,
26 mars 2020, 04:49:0026/03/2020
à Ansible Project
Would constructing your own lookup plugin be an option?

There seem to be lots of lookup plugins that look things up in various kinds of vaults:
Could you create one of your own.

If you created an inventory plugin, rather than an older style dynamic inventory script, I believe the inventory plugins can make use of the internal cache, so you might be able to cache credentials for a little while, which might speed things up, but I'd be inclined to see if you could create your own lookup plugin.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Gregory Storme

non lue,
31 mars 2020, 09:53:4331/03/2020
à ansible...@googlegroups.com
I've managed to write a workaround, by writing a playbook which runs the get-admin-credential command task, with "delegate_to: localhost".
From this I build a dictionary with the parsed values for host/login/password from the command output, and in the ansible inventory file I do a hostvars lookup of these values.

An inventory plugin could also work, thanks for the tip I'll check that out later.

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message