Attempting to install elasticsearch plugins results in error "msg: implementation error: unknown type path requested for plugin_bin"

Sean Meacher

Sep 22, 2016, 12:37:37 PM9/22/16
to Ansible Project
Hi,
I'm attempting to automate the creation of elasticsearch nodes via ansible, using the appropriate module.

in the yml I have:
      - name: add elasticsearch plugins
        elasticsearch_plugin: state=present name="license"
also tried:
        elasticsearch_plugin: state=present name="elasticsearch/license"
(as those worked manually)

What I get with debug output is this:

failed: [elasticsearch05] => {"failed": true}
msg: implementation error: unknown type path requested for plugin_bin

What I've found in the plugin source file (checked out from github)
/usr/share/ansible_modules/packaging/elasticsearch_plugin.py

is this:
    plugin_bin:
            - Location of the plugin binary
        required: False
        default: /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/plugin

which looks ok...

Is there something obvious I'm missing?..
This is all on ubuntu 14.04

Thanks,
Sean