Is Ansible Tower necessary?

michelle...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2016, 2:04:32 PM10/10/16
to Ansible Project
I'm looking to use Ansible as an orchestrater in my small dev environment. The open source version of Ansible is very bare bones; I was wondering if it is necessary to purchase Ansible Tower to really make it work? Or is there full functionality with the open source version?

Thanks.

Dick Davies

Oct 10, 2016, 7:22:57 PM10/10/16
to ansible list
When you say 'bare bones' I'm not sure what you mean - what features
are you missing?

David Strebel

Oct 17, 2016, 12:13:48 PM10/17/16
to Ansible Project
Tower provides some nice user admin, reporting, and configuration features. You have all the functionality with Open Source version... Is there specific features you're looking for?

Kane Kennedy

Oct 17, 2016, 1:19:22 PM10/17/16
to Ansible Project
Tower provides accountability and control over who did what and when.  If you don't need that then no you don't need Tower to do anything that Ansible can do.

There is an open source front end, kind of a FOREMAN to review Ansible jobs but it isn't the products core use and requires a bit of messing around to get working.

Josh Smift

Oct 17, 2016, 1:28:19 PM10/17/16
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Lots of people certainly use Ansible without Tower; it just depends what
features you need.

There's also ostensibly going to be an open-source version of Tower at
some point; https://www.ansible.com/open-tower is light on details beyond
"some day".

-Josh (j...@care.com)

(apologies for the automatic corporate disclaimer that follows)

This email is intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying, or disclosure by any person other than the addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.