Ansible and PowerShell 6 (Core)

lovi

Feb 14, 2018, 11:49:59 AM2/14/18
to Ansible Project

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to get ansible working with powershell version 6 core : pwsh.exe on remote host with winrm ?

And if not is there a planning for this feature ?

Regards,

Balaram R

Feb 14, 2018, 12:30:31 PM2/14/18
to Ansible Project

matt...@redhat.com

Feb 14, 2018, 12:34:13 PM2/14/18
to Ansible Project
We've done some experimentation with it, and it's possible, but it required "if pwsh do X, else do Y" in several of the core connection methods (around hash calculation, etc), as some .NET things have moved around since .NET 4.0 on the oldest platforms we support.

Just out of curiosity: why is it that you want Ansible to target PS Core? We did our initial experiments in the context of trying to support Nano Server, but base Nano Server images in 1709 don't even come with PS/WinRM, and Microsoft's plan is to continue working with Windows Powershell ("big" Powershell) for the foreseeable future.

-Matt

lovi

Feb 16, 2018, 9:40:29 AM2/16/18
to Ansible Project
Hello,

It's a question of upgrading path for servers to version 6 or not.

Cause this new version would have ben easier to upgrade than upgrading Powershell from 2 -> 5.1 ...

matt...@redhat.com

Feb 17, 2018, 1:04:29 AM2/17/18
to Ansible Project
Powershell 6 on Windows is not really a replacement for Powershell 5; it's kind of a long-term goal to try and make most things work under it, but *lots* of stuff is still broken and unsupported by Microsoft.

Windows Nano Server as a standalone manageable OS was our primary driver for trying to do pwsh support, but since that's pretty well died as anything but a container OS and no longer directly includes pwsh, that kinda back-burnered those plans for us. So it's not really a priority for us at the moment- it imposes a larger test burden in a number of scenarios that we probably wouldn't undertake without a really good reason.