java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace error installing Atlassian JIRA using Ansible

Jim Reprogle

Oct 13, 2016, 11:10:44 AM10/13/16
to Ansible Project
Greetings. I realize that much of this is going to sound crazy and a little noob-ish, but...
I'm playing with Ansible for the first time, and I'm trying to automate the installation of a JIRA server (on Windows, mind you). I went through all the rigmarole of enabling WinRM with a self-signed certificate, and Ansible is now communicating with hosts in the inventory.

The JIRA installer uses an install4j executable with a response.varfile for unattended installations. So I built a quick and dirty jira.yaml file that runs the JIRA installer with arguments "-q -varfile response.varfile" using the 'raw' module. I have successfully gotten it to download the JIRA installer from Atlassian using the win_get_url module. I have successfully gotten Ansible to copy the response.varfile to the destination server. However, when I call the 'raw' module to run the install I get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace and the installer quits. Any ideas? Running the installer from the command line with the same arguments works without the out of memory errors.

Thank you in advance.

Matt Davis

Oct 13, 2016, 12:24:26 PM10/13/16
to Ansible Project
WinRM enforces a job memory quota (documented here) that you'll probably need to adjust upward for a heavyweight installer like Jira. Also, if you're running Powershell 3.0, there's a hotfix that fixes that setting on some OSs, though I'd recommend just upgrading to PS4 or 5 instead of messing with the hotfix.

-Matt