Anyone using ansible to manage nexus and ios-xr devices?

Ryan Jones

Sep 15, 2016, 3:43:26 PM9/15/16
to Ansible Project
I'm trying to put together a poc. The issue is i have no idea where to start. I'm somewhat familiar with ansible for servers but I'd like to start managing my network infra with ansible. O e of the questions i have is how so you test a change is valid? And how to automate these tests. I'd like to get to the point where a change is reviewed then automatically tested and deployed.

Steven Carter

Sep 16, 2016, 1:04:00 PM9/16/16
to Ansible Project
I am trying to use the NXOS modules, but they seem to be in a state of Flux.  The NXOS modules for Ansible 2.1 are lacking, and I am having having trouble getting the modules for 2.2 working (posted the problem just a bit ago).

Thanks,

Steven.

Ryan Jones

Sep 19, 2016, 4:39:20 PM9/19/16
to Ansible Project
Thanks. I still haven't started working on this project yet but I was curious as how good the support was.

Peter Sprygada

Sep 19, 2016, 10:50:26 PM9/19/16
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
HI Ryan,

There are a number of organizations that are currently using both nxos and iosxr modules in production today.  We went through a fairly significant refactor for 2.2 which means we are presently tracking down lots of bugs but the code base is stabilizing quickly and is definitely the preferred train to be on.  Of course goes without saying, do you own due diligence.  Happy to help out where we can.

Peter

Christer Hemgren

Jan 5, 2017, 8:18:22 PM1/5/17
to Ansible Project
Hi

We have been doing nx-os (nx-api) of two new pods and most of ios-xe (netconf) for about 1.5 years now.  Still on Ansible 1.9.x.

Christer

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 3:43:26 PM UTC-4, Ryan Jones wrote:
I'm trying to put together a poc. The issue is i have no idea where to start. I'm somewhat familiar with ansible for servers but I'd like to start managing my network infra with ansible. O e of the questions i have is how so you test a change is valid? And how to automate these tests. I'd like to get to the point where a change is reviewed then automatically tested and deployed.

Chandan Shashi

Jun 1, 2017, 12:14:33 PM6/1/17
to Ansible Project
Hi Christer !!

It will be great help if you could share me how the ansible server communication happens with the Cisco nexus switch . Where and how do we input the Credential details of switch? How can we ping the switch from ansible server ?

Thanks

Chandan