Basic beginner question

Waqar Khan

Jan 26, 2020, 7:50:06 AM1/26/20
to Ansible Project
Starting out with ansible and trying to configure sshd config. Here is what I have, it works but is there a better way to do with for future reference. e.g. if I have many different distributions it looks like a lot of copying. Can I combine the 2 tasks?

- name: sshd Amazon
lineinfile:
state: present
path: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
regexp: "^AllowUsers"
line: AllowUsers ec2-user
when: ansible_distribution == 'Amazon'
notify:
- restart sshd

- name: sshd Centos
lineinfile:
state: present
path: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
regexp: "^AllowUsers"
line: AllowUsers centos
when: ansible_distribution == 'Centos'
notify:
- restart sshd

Kai Stian Olstad

Jan 26, 2020, 8:15:40 AM1/26/20
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
You can create a variable that contains the information

allowusers:
Amazon: ec2-user
Centos: centos

And then you only need one task
- name: sshd_config
lineinfile:
path: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
regexp: "^AllowUsers"
line: AllowUsers {{ allowusers[ansible_distribution] }}
notify: restart sshd

--
Kai Stian Olstad

Jean-Yves LENHOF

Jan 26, 2020, 8:32:51 AM1/26/20
to ansible...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You probably looking for ansible_os_family which is RedHat for these distributions : RedHat EL, CentOS, Amazon, etc...

You should probably test the major version (between 6 and 7, there's service and systemctl which are kind different for example, I suppose you're not modifying only ssh config)

So you're when directive should be something like this :

when: ansible_os_family == 'RedHat' and ansible_distribution_major_version in ['6','7']

Waqar Khan

Jan 26, 2020, 8:54:46 AM1/26/20
to Ansible Project
Brilliant - thank you