Python 2, Python 3, Conda, and ansible modules dnf and docker_container

Julien Cochennec

Mar 2, 2020, 9:05:02 AM3/2/20
to Ansible Project
Hi,
When using Docker CE on RHEL 7, installed whith Ansible (python 2.7 on target), docker_container module fails, saying I should install docker or docker-py, but I can't find a way to make it work.
Python 2.7 being unsupported since January, I tried to switch to Python 3.
The yum module says it is deprecated and suggets I use dnf with Python 3.
I can't find any package (RPM) python3-dnf, even dnf can't find it, is there a way to make it work, please?
So I switched to miniconda to provide a Python distribution independant from Red Hat as neither Python2 nor Python3 worked.
I can't find a way to make dnf module work when installing ansible and dnf with pip with miniconda.

So, my question is this :
Is there a LTS way to use both docker_container and yum or dnf modules on RHEL7? I f yes, which Python should I use?

I'm getting really worried about all those incompatibilities, there should exist a way to keep it simple without spending hours resolving conflicts and deprecation problems.
Thank you guys.