Plugin development and distribution in 2019

Ryan Small

Jul 9, 2019, 3:52:30 PM7/9/19
to Ansible Development
How do you distribute, install, and make plugins in virtual environments discoverable in 2019? A similar question was asked in 2017. I'm wondering if there is an update?

I want to develop an Ansible dynamic inventory plugin and deploy it to a repository so users can install it with 'pip install'.  How will Ansible detect the presence of installed plugin?
How do I make my plugin discoverable by Ansible when installed into virtualenv?

Thank you,

Ryan Small

Matt Martz

Jul 9, 2019, 3:56:16 PM7/9/19
to Ryan Small, Ansible Development
We have not gone down the path of python packaging for plugins, nor do we plan to do so.

We have recently launched collection support as our official means of shipping plugins:  https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/collections_tech_preview.html

Matt Martz
@sivel
sivel.net