Big PR Review days 3rd & 19th Sept

John Barker

Aug 30, 2019, 1:32:21 PM8/30/19
to Ansible Development

Ansible is a very popular project by any metric. Our delightful community contributes numerous Pull Requests (PRs) every month. Unfortunately, the volume of incoming PRs means contributors often have to wait days, weeks, or months for PRs to be merged. Sometimes it takes that long for a cursory review. We want to change that.

Are you may have seen the PR backlog is growing, though if we can merge (or close) an extra 100 PRs per month will break even. Although that might sound like a lot though we already merge/close ~800 PRs/month.

The Core Team and Community at large is starting various initiatives under the Contributor Experience umbrella. The idea is to help address some of the causes that slow down quality PRs from being merged into Ansible codebases.

We dedicate two days a month to doing a big community review. We hope you can join in!

What we are trying to achieve:

  • To give potential new community members a place to learn and experiment with Ansible's review process and get feedback

  • Improve the process and documentation by getting feedback from you

    • Feedback from people starting their journey with open source is particularly important to us as it helps to identify and improve complicated processes and documentation.

    • People that have been contributing for a while have already built up this knowledge and have forgotten the "pain of getting started"

  • Give PRs some love

  • Identify PRs that could be merged or closed

Want to know more about how to contribute to Ansible, have a look at our on-demand webinar and slides (press "s" to get speaker notes) how-to-make-ansible-community-contributions.

The next session two sessions are:

  • Tuesday 3rd September from 1000 UTC

  • Thursday 19h September from 1000 UC

Hope to see you there!

To find out how to join, and the dates of future PR review days see community#407

Hope to see you there
John "gundalow" Barker
Principal Engineer
Ansible by Red Hat