flashing new esp32 chips fails

Stuart Gillies

Jan 28, 2021, 12:02:30 PM1/28/21
to Annex WiFi RDS
I have just bought three ESP32 boards (AITRIP 3 Pack for ESP32-DevKitC core Board ESP32 Development Board ESP32-WROOM-32D for Arduino IDE (ESP32-WROOM-32D) on Amazon. I ran out of memory for my current project with the 8266.

Unfortunately none of them will flash. Details are:

Annex+32 toolkit 1.11
flash read err, 1000
invalid head of packet (0x46)

Chip reports as ESP32D0WDQ6 rev 1 (initially)

when it fails it is just after identifying the chip as ESP8266EX with a mac of 00 08 ff 00 00 00, which seems a bit unlikely and is not the mac it reports when asked to read the module.

I have tried wiping and redoing, slower baud rate, setting smaller flash size, etc. But all three chips fail the same way. Unfortunately I have to use another computer to flash as I can't run the toolkit on my usual ones (I haven't got it running under Virtualbox yet and it won't under wine - I don't usually use windows) - screen grab below (it wouldn't attach)

Any ideas?

Stuart

ciccio cb

Jan 28, 2021, 4:57:30 PM1/28/21
to Annex WiFi RDS
Yes Stuart,
you are trying to flash an ESP8266 firmware on the ESP32.

You must use a more recent version of AnnexToolkit that includes the ESP32 firmware

Stuart Gillies

Jan 29, 2021, 2:23:24 AM1/29/21
to Annex WiFi RDS
I just downloaded what I thought was the latest, and it is entitled "Annex+32". Where do I get a later version?

Glad it's nothing serious!

Stuart

cicciocb

Jan 29, 2021, 3:05:50 AM1/29/21
to Annex WiFi RDS
Stuart,
you might download what is called full package that contains both ESP32 and EP8266

Stuart Gillies

Jan 29, 2021, 5:20:43 AM1/29/21
to Annex WiFi RDS
Sorted, thanks. I did find the naming a little confusing.