TelecomService

Developer TPI

Sep 14, 2020, 12:13:04 PM9/14/20
to android-porting
TelecomService
I am developing on an STM32MP157F-evk board that has Android 10 on a 4.19 kernel.
The git tag I'm using is st-android-10.0.0-2020-02-21.

The board doesn't have a modem; which I'm trying to add.

To use a modem, I'm trying to enable all the services I figure need to be enabled.

The first one is the TelecomService.  I have found where SystemServer.java had commented-out the startup of the TelecomService.  I later found that that appears to be a
patch, 0008-Remove-TelecomService.patch.

Does anyone know what that patch (0008-Remove-TelecomService.patch) was for?
Does anyone know how I should go about  setting up the Android framework to get an ip
from cellular?

Dave McLaughlin

Sep 17, 2020, 5:10:03 PM9/17/20
to android-porting
Check out the RIL and how this handles the modem and allows you to make a PPP connection and then use TCP/IP as you would with WiFi.

The best way to use a modem is with USB as this allows the RIL to do PPP over one connection and monitor for SMS etc on a second connection. If you have a single UART modem, you will need to implement the CMUX protocol to be able to have simultaneous ports. I am not familiar with CMUS so I used a SIM7100E modem with USB port to connect to Android 5.1 and later 8.1 using the RIL supplied by SIMCOM. If you can find a modem manufacturer who offers a RIL for your modem, the easier the integration will be.

Good luck.