Flashed Kernel for Pixel2 but changes not appears

sachin verma

Dec 10, 2019, 10:31:19 AM12/10/19
to android-porting
Hi,
I have flashed android10 kernel for Pixel 2 with some changes(additional logs) but the logs are not appearing in kmsg or dmesg, Even I have append the existing log(the logs which are printing on original build) but could not get modified logs only original's one printing. It Seems modified code (modified logs) not flashing in the system.

Here are the steps I am doing:

Downloaded AOSP10 and build for aosp_walleye-userdebug
Downloaded the kernel code from repo branch android-msm-wahoo-4.4-android10-qpr1.
Compile the kernel by build/build.sh from kernel root directory.
Copy the Image.lz4-dtb file generated with build/build.sh to the AOSP kernel folder of my device i.e /device/google/wahoo-kernel, substituting the existing one.
run m bootimage to generate boot.img
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flashall -w to flash the build
Now I can see the kernel build which shows the latest date of kernel build in device Settings, means kernel flash is successful. But my changes are not appearing means modified logs are not appearing.

Here are the files I have added/modified the logs
drivers/staging/qca-wifi-host-cmn/wmi/src/wmi_unified_tlv.c
drivers/staging/qcacld-3.0/Kbuild
drivers/staging/qcacld-3.0/core/hdd/src/wlan_hdd_cfg80211.c
drivers/staging/qcacld-3.0/core/hdd/src/wlan_hdd_main.c
drivers/staging/qcacld-3.0/core/wma/src/wma_dev_if.c
drivers/staging/qcacld-3.0/core/wma/src/wma_mgmt.c

One example of my changes(append msg in existing log):
- hdd_info("Disabling queues, adapter device mode: %s(%d)",hdd_device_mode_to_string(adapter->device_mode),
adapter->device_mode);
+ hdd_info("Modified ...Disabling queues, adapter device mode: %s(%d)",hdd_device_mode_to_string(adapter->device_mode),
adapter->device_mode);
So I am not getting modified versions. while I have checked in kernel source there's no other place for this log.

Please let me know if any prebuilt binary are there in kernel source for staging module or If I am missing some configuration during compilation.

Thanks,
Sachin

Nam Nguyễn

Jan 21, 2020, 11:00:23 AM1/21/20
to android-porting
Have you try to find your module in $OUT?

My suggestion is to remove the kernel in $OUT to force the kernel to be rebuilt.