[pixel3] Touch screen driver problems when flashing custom kernel to Pixel3

Riwei Pan

Jun 26, 2019, 9:58:37 AM6/26/19
to android-porting
Hi,

I followed the steps mentioned in https://source.android.com/setup/build/building to build my custom
Android ROM:

$ repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-9.0.0_r21
$ repo sync
$ source build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch aosp_blueline-userdebug
$ make -j16

Finally I can launch Pixel 3 without any trouble after flashing all produced images into Pixel 3.

Then, I tried to build a custom linux kernel for Pixel3.

I also followed the steps mentioned in https://source.android.com/setup/build/building-kernels:

$ repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/manifest -b android-msm-crosshatch-4.9-pie-qpr2
$ repo sync
$ build/build.sh

Several minutes later, the kernel was built successfully and I obtained Image.lz4-dtb and other linux module files(*.ko).

I tried to flash the Image.lz4-dtb as temporary kernel., so I ran

$ adb reboot bootloader
$ fastboot boot Image.lz4-dtb

The Image.lz4-dtb can be flashed into Pixel3 and Pixel3 can be rebooted successfully.

Pixel 3's screen can display normally, but I cannot control it because the touch function didn't work.

To handle this problems, I also tried to copy Image.lz4-dtb to my AOSP and built bootimage  with command

$ make bootimage

boot.img was generated successfully, but the same problem occurred again.

Then I found there were many module files generated with Image.lz4-dtb.
Thus, I copied  Image.lz4-dtb and modules files(*.ko) to AOSP and built boot.img again but the problem couldn't be fixed.

It is very strange because the boot.img extracted from factory ROM can work without any problem.

After searching some blogs, I found someone can fix this problem by remounting phone's filesystem with adb tools and copy module files (*.ko) to /vendor/lib/modules/ in phone storage.

It seems OK but the steps are complicated because I am a kernel developer and I have to modify the kernel frequently.

Therefore, is there any way to build a custom kernel with modules?

Thanks!

Ahsan Pervaiz

Sep 22, 2020, 11:18:12 AM9/22/20
to android-porting
Hi! I know this is from a while ago, Were you able to find a fix for this problem?