Is ART 2-25x slower than OpenJDK (with HotSpot)?

Iemand Die Boos Is

Aug 9, 2020, 10:51:52 PM8/9/20
to android-platform
I compiled ART from source using m build-art-host. When I normally compile some Java code into a .jar and then into a .dex using d8 and I try to execute the first in OpenJDK 8 (using the HotSpot VM) and the latter using ART (simply with out/host/linux-x86/bin/art -cp /path/to/classes.dex main.Class), ART is between 2 and 25 times slower than OpenJDK. I also don't see any difference when I add --no-compile to the arguments I pass to art. Is that to be expected when running ART on a normal x86_64 Linux host? If not, what could be the cause of the huge performance difference I'm seeing?