Two android applications passing data

Spam Blocker

May 10, 2022, 5:41:19 PM5/10/22
to android-ndk
I am building two android applications that need to pass video data between them.  I have tried sockets but that sends the multicast data out the WiFi port.  I have tried abstract sockets but I always get 'permission denied' from the app trying to connect to my 'server' app.  I have tried FIFO files, but I get 'permission denied' when the client tries to open the pipe.

I would prefer to use abstract sockets if I had my choice.   I have scoured the internet and I have read that the new file system (API 28 +) doesn't give group permissions so that apps can access each others named pipes or abstract sockets.

Both of these applications are using JNI to create abstract sockets and FIFOs.  I have followed the instructions for using the applications file system.   I wrote a stand alone abstract sockets linux code that worked.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.  I am stuck.
S-

Spam Blocker

May 16, 2022, 11:46:40 PM5/16/22
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Backing up to API 27 fixed the issue.
S-

enh

May 17, 2022, 4:53:30 PM5/17/22
to android-ndk
note that if you're shipping in the Play Store, they have additional rules that limit the usefulness of trying to avoid recent security restrictions in this way: https://developer.android.com/google/play/requirements/target-sdk