Compiler bug reports and ways of getting fixes?

John Dallman

Jun 4, 2020, 12:58:41 PM6/4/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I seem to have found a optimizer bug in clang version 9.0.8 from NDK21b. I'm compiling C code for AArch64. I can get round it with reduced optimization on one file for now, but I'd like to get a fix if possible.

Where should I submit a bug report?

The code I'm working with is closed-source and commercially confidential. Will the bug report be publicly accessible? I can cope with that, I just have to do more work genericising the code.

Is there a way of getting a fix for NDK21b, or will I have to move to a later NDK? That attraction of staying with 21b is that it's an LTS version; I work with multiple platforms and it's very advantageous to use LTS versions.

Thanks,

John Dallman

Dan Albert

Jun 4, 2020, 2:03:02 PM6/4/20
to android-ndk
Go ahead and submit the bug to the NDK: https://github.com/android/ndk/issues/new/choose. Even if an upstream bug is eventually needed, we'll want to track it there anyway.

The code I'm working with is closed-source and commercially confidential. Will the bug report be publicly accessible? I can cope with that, I just have to do more work genericising the code.

Something publicly accessible is easier to work with just in case we need to get more eyes on it, but if sharing it privately is an option we can make that work too. If you want to go that route, go ahead and file an NDK bug without a repro case explaining that and we'll figure out how to get it to the right person from there.

Is there a way of getting a fix for NDK21b, or will I have to move to a later NDK? That attraction of staying with 21b is that it's an LTS version; I work with multiple platforms and it's very advantageous to use LTS versions.

r21 yes, but r21b refers to exactly one build :) If it's a regression from r20 then we'll probably release a fix to r21 for it (it depends on the scope of the fix).

John Dallman

Jun 4, 2020, 2:18:36 PM6/4/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> Go ahead and submit the bug to the NDK: https://github.com/android/ndk/issues/new/choose.

Will do. I'll see if I can get it to public acceptability, but I won't break my heart trying.

> r21 yes, but r21b refers to exactly one build :)

Got it!

> If it's a regression from r20 then we'll probably release a fix to r21 for it (it depends on the scope of the fix).

It's a regression from r16. I understand about scope of fixes in compilers, having done this before.

Thanks,

John