CarSystemUI and custom SystemUI in Android Q

6020peaks /\/\/\

Aug 13, 2020, 2:26:27 PM8/13/20
to Android Building
Hi,

I have a doubt regarding the new CarSystemUI introduced in Android Q. In Android P, most of the code and resources from CarSystemUI were part of the original SystemUI, so in order to build a custom SystemUI one would just need to override the original SystemUI. In Q, however, CarSystemUI is already overriding the original SystemUI. My question is what is the approach to follow in Q in order to build a custom car SystemUI, should this custom one replace CarSystemUI or still SystemUI? I have been struggling with this for a while due to some dependencies in the .bp files and I am not sure which approach is the right one.

Thanks a lot for your help!

6020...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2020, 2:37:27 PM8/28/20
to Android Building
Hi,
I found this change which I believe answers my question: https://cs.android.com/android/_/android/platform/frameworks/base/+/b896c588af5489999c3a22e3713a2491811456c2

"... building all of CarSystemUI as a library and then including that library as a static lib for an android_app target. Thus anyone that wants to build a derivative to CarSystemUI can include that library and start extending. It is the same mechanism that allows CarSystemUI to extend the phone SystemUI"

I hope this saves time to others.