Build starts slowly and get stuck

Glanda

Nov 13, 2019, 5:20:24 PM11/13/19
to Android Building
I have a problem to build my AOSP. And "lunch" and "m" takes quite a long time (1 or 2 minutes) to start, but I'm mainly here for the other issue.
There is no Error or something else, the build only gets stuck.

Here is where it get stuck:

PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME
=R
PLATFORM_VERSION
=R
TARGET_PRODUCT
=full_a5y17lte
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT
=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE
=release
TARGET_ARCH
=arm64
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT
=armv8-a
HOST_ARCH
=x86_64
HOST_2ND_ARCH
=x86
HOST_OS
=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA
=Linux-5.0.0-32-generic-x86_64-Ubuntu-18.04.3-LTS
HOST_CROSS_OS
=windows
HOST_CROSS_ARCH
=x86
HOST_CROSS_2ND_ARCH
=x86_64
HOST_BUILD_TYPE
=release
BUILD_ID
=QD1A.190821.011
OUT_DIR
=out
[ 0% 0/1] out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build out/soong/build.ninja

(time) out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build out/soong/build.ninja

When the build starts after the 1-2 minutes my CPU useage is on all 6 cores for a short time fully utilized. Then the CPU useage is normal.
I already made one build attempt for 3 hours, it didn't help.

Note: My out directory is linked with a folder of an Raid 0 partition from 3 HDDs, NTFS formated. I use it because my SSD with the AOSP is to small.

Colin Cross

Nov 13, 2019, 5:30:44 PM11/13/19
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I would expect using the NTFS for the out directory is the problem.  You can get soong_build to dump stack traces of where it is stuck with `killall -QUIT soong_build`.

Does the build get further if you put the OUT_DIR on your SSD?  Try `m nothing`, which will parse all the build files but not build anything so it shouldn't use too much disk space.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/d085eb8e-563c-4dad-a75f-1cb425da2267%40googlegroups.com.

Glanda

Nov 17, 2019, 12:23:34 PM11/17/19
to Android Building
Ok, the build gets further if I m nothing on the SDD. I have formated my partition on the Raid ext4, it's currently working, update will follow.
And I noticed that the slow speed comes from the Raid. It took around 1 minute to m nothing on the SDD.

Thanks for you help.

Am Mittwoch, 13. November 2019 23:30:44 UTC+1 schrieb Colin Cross:
I would expect using the NTFS for the out directory is the problem.  You can get soong_build to dump stack traces of where it is stuck with `killall -QUIT soong_build`.

Does the build get further if you put the OUT_DIR on your SSD?  Try `m nothing`, which will parse all the build files but not build anything so it shouldn't use too much disk space.

For more options, visit this group at