Soong build system install & use

Ankita Kulkarni

Feb 19, 2021, 10:38:37 AM2/19/21
to Android Building

Hello,
I am a newbie in Android & Soong build system. I want to build basic HelloWorld example using Soong build system, referred following links

I am not able to understand how to install Soong & use it to build any application.

Could anyone please guide me on it?

Thanks & Regards,
Ankita

Akshay Sakare

Feb 19, 2021, 12:16:18 PM2/19/21
to Android Building
Hello,

Dan Willemsen

Feb 22, 2021, 4:38:03 PM2/22/21
to Android Building
Soong is intended to build the Android Platform, so while it can build "unbundled" apps in some contexts, that's only by downloading a large portion of the android platform in order to do so. If you're just building an Android application, it's more than likely not the right tool to use. If you are trying a platform build, have you successfully downloaded the code and built something without any changes?

- Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/0db43b2f-d379-4a1f-ad8d-347c26654941n%40googlegroups.com.

Ankita Kulkarni

Feb 22, 2021, 6:06:21 PM2/22/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I would like to tell you that I have already went through this document. But I am not getting information like how Soong build any application?

Thanks

Kevin Keller

Feb 23, 2021, 6:48:49 PM2/23/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Why are you using Soong to build an application? Soong is for building the Android Image to flash to a device or use in an emulator. If you want to build an Android application this is not the correct approach.

It is typically more helpful when you give more details about what EXACTLY you are trying to do. If you had read the instructions, you would see the Soong is for building Android images. From the previous helpful comment:

>> If you are trying a platform build, have you successfully downloaded the code and built something without any changes?

Have you built the standard AOSP?