Which device is suitable to build my first image?

Ignacio Ocampo

Sep 8, 2020, 10:54:27 AM9/8/20
to Android Building
Hi all,

I would like to purchase a device to build my own image for learning... and I'm wondering which device do you recommend to me... I saw Nexus 5 is very popular and may be a good choice, but, I'm not sure if LG is still updating drivers for Android 10... Any advice?

I would like to purchase something economic, compatible with the latest version, and with good drivers support.

Please advice.

Thanks!

Ignacio

Theo

Sep 9, 2020, 11:53:50 AM9/9/20
to android-...@googlegroups.com
If you just want to build aosp: you could build the emulator?

Cheap(ish) device: google has released the Pixel 4a recently. (approx. 340 eur / 399$ )
It isn't available in every country though.

If you have more money to spend, and you can wait a few more weeks / month(s), there will be a Pixel 5 soon.
This one should come with Android 11.

Theo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/5e2177c8-e0e5-43a2-a3e7-050fae62679bn%40googlegroups.com.

Ignacio Ocampo

Sep 9, 2020, 2:16:51 PM9/9/20
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Theo,

Yes, I would like to feel the experience of compiling it on a real device, I will explore both devices you're suggesting.

I'm wondering if I can build any Android version for any device, or is there any hard compatibility that is tied to the hardware? I mean, can I install Android 11 in a no so new device?

I see an Android device like a PC, and Android OS like a Linux distribution, Does that analogy make sense?

If that is the case, I can install a new Linux distribution in an older PC, Does that work similarly in Android?

And, what about the drivers? Are there generic drivers already build-in in the Android source code? Like audio, GPS, etc... or, Have I to manually install drivers provided by devices vendors?

Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/CADDy52Ob4aiv8%3DFkzZH5kb_wz-znXcGeKXxuDchZm8S4tL9XCg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Ignacio Ocampo