how to integrate ninja and RBE to support remote build AOSP so fast?

alexander zhu

Mar 23, 2020, 10:39:55 AM3/23/20
to Android Building
hi,

Android Building group,

I noticed that One PPT called "Remote Execution and Caching for Android Platform" .
Inside it has one page , it shows that ninja can call re.warper to execute clang/java on remote server.

In that PPT it shows the result is quite good from my point of view. So, I want to know how it works? how can i build one system like this? I have read pages https://cloud.google.com/remote-build-execution/docs/overview . I learned that RBE is for Bazel .

So I learned Bazel, I found that ,Bazel has its own BUILD file to be the input to compile code. So I confused ,could any one can tell me ? How does ninja call re-wrapper and send "compile" command to remote execution? How does this progress know the out file is exist in Remote Cache?

I need to build one system like this to make the android and chips driver compile as fast as I can. thanks

google.png

Dan Willemsen

Mar 24, 2020, 12:19:51 AM3/24/20
to Android Building
Someone should be reaching out to you directly about RBE, but I'd like to clarify that the remote execution API has more clients than just Bazel (even though it is in the bazelbuild github organization). The rewrapper support in AOSP is unrelated to Bazel, and currently integrates with the build similarly to ccache -- as a compiler wrapper.

- Dan

alexander zhu

Mar 24, 2020, 11:50:58 AM3/24/20
to Android Building
Hi,

Dan,

You are so kind . I got your point. I will try to learn it.

在 2020年3月24日星期二 UTC+8下午12:19:51,Dan Willemsen写道:

Yun Ma

May 13, 2020, 3:24:55 PM5/13/20
to Android Building
Hi Dan,

Do we have more detail document about how to setup/use the RBE? We have interesting about this build feature.

Thanks
Yun

Joe Hicks

May 13, 2020, 4:11:45 PM5/13/20
to Android Building
Hi Yun,

I will reach out directly to you to discuss.

Thanks,
Joe

Chang Kyo

Sep 14, 2020, 11:41:25 AM9/14/20
to Android Building
Hi Joe:
I also want to know the detail about setup/use the RBE.

Does it mean if I have a lot of machine(virtual or physical),
I can separate the AOSP compile process on them?

Because as android version rising, the compile time rising also.
aosp_11_compile_time.png
i'm afraid it will impact our product develop time next year.

Thanks a lot.
Chang
Joe Hicks 在 2020年5月14日 星期四上午4:11:45 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

Joe Hicks

Sep 14, 2020, 4:41:04 PM9/14/20
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chang Kyo. I will reach out to you directly to discuss.

Thanks again,

Joe

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/80c2b419-81a3-44ea-92ee-5156a8a6140an%40googlegroups.com.

--
Joe Hicks
Product Manager, Google Core Developer

Ruben Wu

May 12, 2021, 10:20:52 AM5/12/21
to Android Building
Hi Joe,
I also want to know how to setup/use the RBE on the AOSP side for Android 11/12. Would it only work with Google's Remote Execution backend? or any Bazel based remote execution backend?

Thanks,
Ruben

Hao Li

Mar 29, 2022, 3:19:04 AM3/29/22
to Android Building
hi mooo,
did you solve this problem?Is it possible to use the open source RE Service?And how does it integrate with the Android build?

Thanks
hao

Kane Ho

Aug 1, 2022, 12:09:32 PM8/1/22
to Android Building
May I know the detail about it too?

Thank you!

Regards,
Kane

John Delight

Aug 4, 2022, 7:32:44 PM8/4/22
to Android Building
Hi Joe,
I also want to know how to setup/use the RBE on the AOSP side for Android 11/12. Many thanks!

Regards,
Joh

Bhanu Surendra

Oct 5, 2023, 10:50:07 AM10/5/23
to Android Building
Hi All,

Is there any update on this conversation? Please do let us know!

Regards,
Bhanu