Help! Disk space getting nearly full because of Android's source files

`mCT

Aug 22, 2020, 2:11:26 PM8/22/20
to Android Building

Hi everyone,
I would just like to ask for help. While downloading Android's source, my disk's space is getting nearly full because of these 'tmp_pack_...' files which are of many GBs, and I am not able to find a solution.
It would be very kind of anyone who can guide me what to do of these 'tmp_pack_...' files, as deleting them will not solve my problem completely, as when I have to download Android's source again, these files will start getting accumulated again, but as I have to pause downloading the source because of Internet data getting finished, so I also wanted to know if it's possible to pause downloading the source, then how to do it?

Glenn Kasten

Aug 22, 2020, 2:17:11 PM8/22/20
to Android Building
Please see this article on disk requirements:

Are you finding that it actually needs more free disk space than the amount listed?
If so please reply and we'll update the documentation to the correct amount.

On the other hand, if the amount listed is correct and your machine just doesn't have that much free space,
really the only solution is to create more free space, for example by adding another larger drive.

`mCT

Aug 23, 2020, 11:14:07 AM8/23/20
to Android Building
@ Glenn Kasten

In addition to my earlier message, I forgot to say that, I have also written my problem in one message outside of this conversation. It is here.

`mCT

Aug 24, 2020, 10:53:41 AM8/24/20
to Android Building
@Glenn Kasten

(First of all, I don't know why only the 'reply all' option is available!)

Thanks for you reply,

I had checked the article that you mentioned, but as you said:
"Are you finding that it actually needs more free disk space than the amount listed?"

Me: Well, it doesn't seem that it is wanting more disk space, but allow me to clarify again from my starting message: "...disk's space is getting nearly full because of these 'tmp_pack_...' files ... deleting them will not solve my problem completely, as, when I have to download Android's source again, these files will start getting accumulated again, but as I have to pause downloading the source because of Internet data getting finished, so I also wanted to know if it is possible to pause downloading the source, then how to do it?"

"On the other hand, if the amount listed is correct and your machine just doesn't have that much free space,
really the only solution is to create more free space, for example by adding another larger drive."

Me: Well, till I use the existing 'tmp_pack_...' files to extract source code [which I don't know how], I am not starting to download the source again, because, as I said: "...I have to pause downloading the source because of Internet data getting finished, so I also wanted to know, if it is possible to pause downloading the source, then how to do it?", because I think that, CTRL + C is not pausing the 'repo sync' command, `n that these 'tmp_pack_...' files are the result of this 'pausing'. So, can you help me with that?

thanks,
waiting for you help.

`mCT

Aug 26, 2020, 9:30:01 AM8/26/20
to Android Building
@Glenn Kasten

Hi,
I see that one of my two messages, which I posted yesterday, hasn't appeared here yet, while the other has appeared. I am talking about the message, which I posted in response to your reply of 22 Aug to me, in which you are asking me to see an article based on disk space requirements.
So, I would ask you to kindly check my that message also, as it is quite important in this conversation. It would be very kind of you to share the update regarding that message.

thanks,
Waiting for your help `n reply.

Glenn Kasten

Aug 26, 2020, 2:44:43 PM8/26/20
to Android Building
I'm not sure what's causing the tmp_pack_ problem.
But you might need to start over with a completely new download, and on a machine with a lot more disk space available.
That is:
 - make a backup of any of your important files
 - delete your current download area, including hidden directories and hidden files within the download area
 - check your disk space and make sure you have *lots* available, and consider adding even more space
 - start a new download

`mCT

Aug 28, 2020, 2:36:14 PM8/28/20
to Android Building

@Glenn Kasten

Thanks for your reply, but as you said:

But you might need to start over with a completely new download, and on a machine with a lot more disk space available.

Me: Thanks, but that would not seem to solve the origin of the problem, which I have already mentioned, `n which is, how to pause the downloading of the source (how to pause the ‘repo sync’ command)?

“ - check your disk space and make sure you have *lots* available, and consider adding even more space

 - start a new download

Me: Even if I have much space available, `n also if I add extra, the next problem [after the first, above] is:

  1. How to stop the accumulation of these ‘tmp_pack_...’ files, [as because, if the accumulation isn’t stopped, then even much free space will get reduced], `n,

  2. [For now], how to extract the code using the existing ‘tmp_pack_...’ files [as the existing files are also of many GB s collectively]?

Thanks,

Waiting for your help.

`mCT

Sep 2, 2020, 10:48:05 AM9/2/20
to Android Building
@Glenn Kasten

Hello,
As I had replied to your message of 27 Aug, so could you kindly provide some guidance regarding the info that I have written in my reply? If you would not be able to help me, then kindly tell me that also.

Thanks,
Waiting for your reply.