SNA

Gabriel Bodard

Jul 23, 2014, 11:27:05 AM7/23/14
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

A quick query, to see if any of you with prosopographical databases
would be interested in collaborating on a network project to explore
the use of Social Network Analysis on historical datasets? I guess the
database would need to be large enough, have relatively robust
relationship information (with more than one kinds of links between
people: family relationships, co-appearance in documents, contracts,
etc.), and be in a relatively stable, reliable state for the start of
the project.

If you think this might be interesting to play with, give me a shout
and I'll put you in touch with my colleague who's exploring the
possibilities of such a project.

All best,

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities
King's College London
Boris Karloff Building
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL

Email: gabriel...@kcl.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 1388
Fax: +44 (0)20 7848 2980

http://www.digitalclassicist.org/
http://www.currentepigraphy.org/

Sebastian Rahtz

Aug 6, 2014, 6:54:26 PM8/6/14
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
I can't volunteer a data set here, though I would cite the Lexicon of Greek Personal Names as being
close to a useful data set for this purpose.

But I wonder whether you actually need strictly prosopographical material? I am thinking of some of Fabienne Marchand's work which is looking purely at names and how they are distributed, without actually needing to match them to people. Similarly, one might look at gravestones and talk about inferring social networks based purely on decoration - I think here of Ludwig's "Graven Images" work in the 1960s, where the actual identity of the carver isnt so important.

Alternatively, its late at night and I am barking up a different tree :-}

Sebastian

Sebastian Rahtz

Director (Research) of Academic IT

University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.

Nunca serei nada.

Não posso querer ser nada.

À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.

Vladimir Alexiev

Sep 18, 2014, 1:50:55 PM9/18/14
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
This sounds interesting, esp. if the idea is to try for EC H2020 funding.
We're working on publishing Getty ULAN as LOD, and I already know of some projects that mine ULAN relations for SNA and influences.