LOD and historical persons

Gabriel Bodard

Sep 6, 2022, 12:16:45 PM9/6/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

It has been suggested that we might propose a new discussion and activity group for work around Linked Open Data and historical people as a Pelagios Network Activity. (The scope of this activity would include, but potentially far exceed, the work we've done around SNAP the last few years.)

There would be a few (relatively gentle) hoops to jump through to get this set up and approved, the first of which would be to come up with a list of names of people who would be interested in joining such an Activity were it to be established.

I would be happy to co-chair this activity if this was acceptable and useful to others.

Would you (a) be interesting in joining a LOD people activity, or (b) be willing to help us get it set up? (Reply on- or off-list as you prefer.)

Many thanks,

Gabby

==
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Institute of Classical Studies / Digital Humanities Research Hub
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HU

E: Gabriel...@sas.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)20 78628752

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.

A I

Sep 6, 2022, 12:24:10 PM9/6/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I've been culpably inactive here, but please count me in.
I have a huge interest in a  LOD people activity.

All the best
Alexander

Priv.-Doz. Alexander Ilin-Tomich

Research Associate

Department of Ancient Studies, Egyptology

FB 07 Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz

55099 Mainz, Germany

Jonathan Prag

Sep 7, 2022, 4:49:39 AM9/7/22
to Ancient People
Count me in - I'm doing my best to represent / insure the LOD accessibility of LGPN (mostly done in fact, but some elements still missing). Also, we rather obviously need TM presence after Yann Broux's announcement last week of TM Names focusing on Latin to complement LGPN. Corinne Bonnet's MAP project would be important too.
best
Jonathan

Jonathan Prag  (he/him)
Professor of Ancient History, Faculty of Classics, University of Oxford
Fellow and Tutor in Ancient History, Merton College, Oxford
Merton College, Oxford OX1 4JD
T: +44 (0)1865-(2)76281
M: +44 (0)7957 340739
E: Jonath...@merton.ox.ac.uk
Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3819-8537

Monica Berti

Sep 7, 2022, 4:57:43 AM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gabby, Dear All,

I have a DFG project for NEs recognition and annotation with a focus also on author names and work titles.
And so I’m happy to participate in this initiative.

Best,
Monica

PD Dr. Habil. Monica Berti
monica...@uni-leipzig.de
http://www.monicaberti.com

Alte Geschichte
Geisteswissenschaftliches Zentrum -
Universität Leipzig
Beethovenstraße 15 - 04107 Leipzig - DE
https://www.gkr.uni-leipzig.de/historisches-seminar/institut/professuren/alte-geschichte/

c/o Computational Humanities
Institut für Informatik - Universität Leipzig

Augustusplatz 10 - 04109 Leipzig - DE
http://www.ch.uni-leipzig.de

Neu erschienen:
M. Berti. Digital Editions of Historical Fragmentary Texts. Heidelberg: Propylaeum 2021 (Digital Classics Books, Band 5)
https://doi.org/10.11588/propylaeum.898

Gabriel Bodard

Sep 7, 2022, 5:59:24 AM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexander, Jonathan and Monica (and everyone who replied off-list),

Thanks for the interest in the LOD People activity—I think we have enough names to demonstrate to the Pelagios Network there is a demand for this work. I'll be in touch off-list soon with a suggestion for writing a short "charter" for the proposed activity, and we can see how the PN committee react to it.

(In the meantime, I'm still very keen to see feedback on or questions about the SNAP Cookbook version announced earlier this summer…)

Best,

Gabby

==
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Institute of Classical Studies / Digital Humanities Research Hub
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HU

E: Gabriel...@sas.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)20 78628752

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.

Sep 7, 2022, 6:29:07 AM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I would also be interested in participating in this initiative.

Best,
Rada

---
Dr. Rada Varga
Scientific Researcher at StarUBB Institute,
Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca

Dr. Usama Gad

Sep 7, 2022, 6:43:56 AM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gabby and all,

me too, I would like to participate in this initiative.

Best,
Usama

Ethan Gruber

Sep 7, 2022, 8:56:15 AM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested as well. We have a lot of people associated with coinage in Nomisma. Some are notable enough to link to external URIs. Many others are unique since coins are their only attestation.

Ulrike Peter

Sep 7, 2022, 9:28:33 AM9/7/22
to 'Gabriel Bodard' via Ancient People
Dear Gabby,

Thank you very much for the initiative! With our coin portal I am very interessted to join.

All best,

Ulrike
Dr. Ulrike Peter
Griechisches Münzwerk / Corpus Nummorum
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften

Hausadresse:
Unter den Linden 8
D – 10117 Berlin

Postanschrift:
Jägerstrasse 22/23
D – 10117 Berlin

Tel.: ++49 / (0)30 / 20 370 501
mobil: ++49 / (0) 151 / 50964421
Fax: ++49 / (0)30 / 20 370 376
mail: pe...@bbaw.de
https://bbaw.academia.edu/UlrikePeter

https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/

Richard Light

Sep 7, 2022, 12:00:27 PM9/7/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com

Gabby,

I would be interested, particularly if the results can be injected in some way into the museum and/or genealogy worlds.

Best wishes,

Richard

Richard Light
richard...@gmail.com
@richardofsussex

Giorgos Tsolakis

Sep 8, 2022, 5:49:39 PM9/8/22
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gabby,

I would be very interested. Please count me in!

All the best,
Georgios