ProfStef broken on amber-lang.net/learn.html + unable to register at lolg.it

Christopher Allen

Jun 18, 2020, 6:41:21 AM6/18/20
to amber-lang
The "Learn Smalltalk with ProfStef" page is broken; clicking on "DoIt" gives the error message "Parse error on line 1 column 47 : Unexpected character null":

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 11.39.08.png

This is on Chrome 83.0.4103.97 running on macOS 10.14.6.

Additionally, when I tried to report this issue at https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website/issues, I was unable to create a lolg.it account because no email address confirmation email was ever received, despite pressing "Click here to resent your activation email" several times.

I guess I will not be learning SmallTalk today.

Herby Vojčík

Jun 18, 2020, 5:41:01 PM6/18/20
to amber...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Allen
On 18. 6. 2020 12:41, Christopher Allen wrote:
> The "Learn Smalltalk with ProfStef" page
> <https://amber-lang.net/learn.html> is broken; clicking on "DoIt" gives
> the error message "Parse error on line 1 column 47 : Unexpected
> character null":

Acutally, it's not. :-)

I understand the error message is not very helpful, but you did not
follow the instructions. The first lesson of Prof Stef explicitly asks
you to _select_ one specific text first, and _only then_ click "Do It".

The behaviour you report only happens when you click "Do It" without
selecting any text.

> Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 11.39.08.png
>

> This is on Chrome 83.0.4103.97 running on macOS 10.14.6.
>

> Additionally, when I tried to report this issue at
> https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website/issues, I was unable to create a
> lolg.it account because no email address confirmation email was ever
> received, despite pressing "Click here to resent your activation email"
> several times.

Will look after mail sending issue / will mark your user active by hand.

> I guess I will not be learning SmallTalk today.

If you're not totally depressed yet, try once more, now following the
instructions in brown comment part. :-)

Herby

Herby Vojčík

Jun 18, 2020, 6:34:24 PM6/18/20
to amber...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Allen
On 18. 6. 2020 12:41, Christopher Allen wrote:
> The "Learn Smalltalk with ProfStef" page
> <https://amber-lang.net/learn.html> is broken; clicking on "DoIt" gives
> the error message "Parse error on line 1 column 47 : Unexpected
> character null":
>
> Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 11.39.08.png
>

> This is on Chrome 83.0.4103.97 running on macOS 10.14.6.
>

> Additionally, when I tried to report this issue at
> https://lolg.it/amber/amber-website/issues, I was unable to create a
> lolg.it account because no email address confirmation email was ever
> received, despite pressing "Click here to resent your activation email"
> several times.

Email sending from lolg.it works again. Thanks for pointing out.
Sometime upgrades look working for main thing (git hosting), but stop
working at edges (mailer).

Herby

> I guess I will not be learning SmallTalk today.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/amber-lang/da7fc5b2-2205-48d4-80b8-f3102bee7b57o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/amber-lang/da7fc5b2-2205-48d4-80b8-f3102bee7b57o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Christopher Allen

Jun 20, 2020, 6:07:03 PM6/20/20
to Herby Vojčík, amber...@googlegroups.com
Acutally, it's not. :-)

I understand the error message is not very helpful, but you did not
follow the instructions. The first lesson of Prof Stef explicitly asks
you to _select_ one specific text first, and _only then_ click "Do It".

Oh, fair!

Still, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't always read instructions carefully enough.  Having an error message that gives some kind of clue what the user has done wrong might make for a less frustrating experience.

(I am reminded of a very different first experience with perl: even back in Perl 4 days the interpreter had incredibly helpful error messages, such that even as a complete novice I never had any trouble figuring out how to fix the error.)

Christopher

John McKeon

Jun 25, 2020, 11:33:30 AM6/25/20
to amber...@googlegroups.com
It worked for me but I did have to click the “Resend Confirmation Email" button for the email to show up. Could just be me and my wonky email server but wanted to make sure you knew.
Happy Trails
Johnny

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/amber-lang/efa554ef-9f55-551d-20d2-dc1b841adfaf%40mailbox.sk.