Sore lack of tutorials

Jamil Halabi

Apr 17, 2021, 11:05:05 AM4/17/21
to alembic-discussion

Hi

As much as how Alembic is important in the CGI pipeline,
But I have noticed an incredible lack of any tutorials or even some kind of a cookbook for the C++ programmer. Most of the things I have to rely on trial and error methods.

Thanks!

Lucas Miller

Apr 17, 2021, 1:02:48 PM4/17/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I would also love to see this!

I've tried creating stuff like this in the past, but because I've
worked on the project so long I immediately start second guessing
myself about whether it would be truly helpful to programmers, or if
it would even address the most common questions.

I'd be more than happy to help refine and collaborate on this kind of
thing for the github wiki section, but I need others to help steer it
in a positive direction.

Lucas

Jamil Halabi

Apr 17, 2021, 11:10:58 PM4/17/21
to alembic-discussion
I would be more than happy to collaborate on such effort!

I could start by writing a kickstart small tutorials on a simple import/export in a generic manner

Dorian Fevrier

Apr 18, 2021, 9:43:46 AM4/18/21
to alembic-discussion
I like the idea. I have some tiny problem specific code I could share. It's using PyAlembic, but it would benefit to anyone (generating Alembic file of points with attributes).

Lucas Miller

Apr 19, 2021, 11:51:58 AM4/19/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Both the small C++ tutorials, and python examples would be greatly appreciated.

Lucas
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alembic-discussion/2060228658.5277529.1618753419339%40mail.yahoo.com.

Alex Suter

Apr 19, 2021, 2:54:40 PM4/19/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I could contribute some example C++ code too. Let me know.

Do folks know about cask? I've found it to be easier to work with for Python Alembic coding.

Dorian Fevrier

Apr 19, 2021, 6:01:01 PM4/19/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I used cask, then have to convert to raw PyAlembic to be closer to original implementation. I don't remember the problem but I suspect it was related to Python 3 with cask's deep dict structure.

Ryan Galloway

Apr 20, 2021, 12:27:43 PM4/20/21
to alembic-discussion
There's an open ticket for cask python 3 support. Dorian, take a look at that and see if it matches your experience. If not, consider opening a new ticket. Unfortunately, it may not be a trivial update (e.g. simple python 2->3 syntax updates) and I personally haven't had any time to dive into it yet. IMO, cask is still a nice convenience wrapper around PyAlembic and would be good to continue to support it.

FWIW, cask docs are here:

Once upon a time, API docs were autogenerated for Alembic/PyAlembic as well and hosted here but they are now out-of-date:

Ryan