NURBS alembic issue

Nicholas Yue

Oct 16, 2020, 9:00:01 PM10/16/20
to alembic-discussion
Hi,

  I am translating some Rhino NURBs geometry to Alembic NURBS

  I have the following simple sphere (from Rhino) that displays nicely in Houdini but all messed up in Maya.

  Any idea why that is the case ?

Cheers
--
Nicholas Yue
Graphics - Arnold, Alembic, RenderMan, OpenGL, HDF5

Moritz Moeller

Oct 16, 2020, 9:07:12 PM10/16/20
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Yue
On 17.10.20 02:59, Nicholas Yue wrote:
>   I am translating some Rhino NURBs geometry to Alembic NURBS
>
>   I have the following simple sphere (from Rhino) that displays nicely
> in Houdini but all messed up in Maya.
>
>   Any idea why that is the case ?

Wild guess: you may be the first one to ever test/use this? :)

Alembic NURBS -> Maya ...?
Alembic was conceived around the time or even after, one may argue, when
NURBS were terminally abandoned for SDS in VFX.

<rant>Much to the dismay of anyone who has to deal with using modern VFX
DCC apps for visualization of models from the
CAD/CAM/design/archviz/air/marine/automotive worlds.</rant>

.mm

Lucas Miller

Oct 16, 2020, 9:10:25 PM10/16/20
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I haven't looked yet, but did you remember to replicate the endpoints and knots?

Nicholas Yue

Oct 16, 2020, 9:24:38 PM10/16/20
to alembic-discussion
Yes, I did perform the knots replication, I did not do endpoint replication. Can you point me to some information to read up on ? I only came across knots replication requirements documentation so far.

Cheers

Lucas Miller

Oct 16, 2020, 9:38:52 PM10/16/20
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com