Will Alaveteli GiveUpGitHub?

Mattias Axell

Aug 15, 2022, 12:52:28 PM8/15/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Would like to discuss this with you when the time is right, e.g. major funding for Alaveteli project:

Could this be added to milestone?

Best,
Mattias

John Handelaar

Aug 15, 2022, 5:13:20 PM8/15/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
That would certainly be a great way to prevent anybody new from
discovering the project from now until the heath death of the
universe, while achieving exactly nothing.

Mattias Axell

Aug 16, 2022, 2:18:22 AM8/16/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Yes I'm aware of that exposure aspect that comes with GitHub but let's see what happens as it seems the tides may be turning.

Gareth Rees

Aug 16, 2022, 6:19:23 AM8/16/22
to Alaveteli Dev
Hi Mattias,

We have no plans to do so.

mySociety makes heavy use of GitHub across all its projects, so it wouldn't be just Alaveteli, but many other projects that would need to be considered.

While there are other options, they'll all have their own issues, and we don't have the resources or capacity to host our own equivalent.

Happy for this discussion to take place for those interested, but with the expectation that there won't be a change of position any time soon. We've got to pick our battles, and this isn't where we can best make a difference.

Best,

Gareth

Mattias Axell

Aug 16, 2022, 7:06:20 AM8/16/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
I agree, I think its a long term thing :)