Vagrant - some packages not found (release 0.39.1.1)

Alex Popescu

Jul 29, 2021, 12:19:08 PM7/29/21
to Alaveteli Dev
I've run into some errors with Vagrant (both on macos & win10, if that would make any difference) – seemingly failed to acquire some packages:

E: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-libc-dev_4.9.210-1_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 199.232.138.132 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86_4.9.210-1_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 199.232.138.132 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-kbuild-4.9_4.9.210-1_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 199.232.138.132 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-latest/linux-headers-amd64_4.9+80+deb9u10_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 199.232.138.132 80]
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-12-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.9.0-12-amd64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-12-amd64'
The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!

Full logs below:
https://pastebin.com/QET4e5yx win
*somewhat similar both on dev and master branch

Graeme Porteous

Jul 30, 2021, 3:43:53 AM7/30/21
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Although you have the most recent version available it looks like the Debian Stretch vagrant box needs to be updated, unfortunately this is out of our control.

I would suggest you use one of the other base images as Stretch is really quite old. This can be done either via:
1. using one of the bin/vagrant-* wrapper scripts
2. by setting the ALAVETELI_VAGRANT_OS environment configuration variable
3. creating a .vagrant.yml file - see the .vagrant.yml-example file as a guide

Best

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Gareth Rees

Jul 30, 2021, 4:51:54 AM7/30/21
to Alaveteli Dev
This might also be an issue with the way Debian provides Vagrant images [1]. The issue discussion includes a workaround that might work here.

As Graeme says, Stretch is pretty old. We only support Stretch because we're still in the process of migrating our infrastructure to a more modern OS.

Alex Popescu

Aug 5, 2021, 4:31:01 AM8/5/21
to Alaveteli Dev
Thank you, I finally managed to have a working Vagrant version.

If anybody else is stumbling upon this thread:
Following https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/issues/6110, after the initial error launching I did vagrant ssh -c "sudo apt -y install linux-headers-amd64"
it first didn't help, then noticed  .vagrant.yml where the OS also needs to be changed: os: buster64
also, I found in some document that one also needs to run `vagrant vbguest`  besides installing the plugin. I also did that at some point, unsure if that helped.