Closing accounts

Miroslav (Code for Croatia, ImamoPravoZnati.org)

Aug 13, 2021, 10:49:46 AM8/13/21
to Alaveteli Dev
Hello,
In the GH comment, Gareth wrote that "Currently, we can only ban users through the admin interface. We can close accounts through the developer console."

Can you share steps how do you mark account as closed through Rails console?

Thanks,
Miroslav

Graeme Porteous

Aug 16, 2021, 4:55:55 AM8/16/21
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Since that comment we have added a "Close and anonymise" button to the admin user edit page. This does a number of actions to make it easier to comply with GDPR's right to erasure.

If you want to simply "close" an account then you would need to use the console:
User.find_by(email: '...').update(closed_at: Time.now)

Best

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Code for Croatia brine o zaštiti Vaše privatnosti. Molimo vas da ograničite dijeljenje svojih osobnih podataka putem elektroničke pošte.
Vodite računa o okolišu. Ne tiskajte ovu poruku ako nije neophodno.

Miroslav Schlossberg

Aug 16, 2021, 3:03:37 PM8/16/21
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graeme,
I can't see 'Close and anonimise' button in Admin GUI. Can you share example screenshot on which screen this can be found?

What actions are done when this button is clicked?

Thanks,
Miroslav

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Alaveteli Dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alaveteli-dev/CAD%3D4AyjKpOHDMgMBc%3Dj7CdHc9TSqzjmLmtqx3sjJAcs1PAvCmQ%40mail.gmail.com.

laurent...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2023, 7:57:27 AM3/13/23
to Alaveteli Dev
Hi all,
Can I revive this old thread and ask how this "close and anonymise" button can be enabled? I see in the code that it checks if the feature is enabled (edit.html.erb), but I'm a bit at a loss as to how to enable it :)

Thanks a lot!
Laurent

Graeme Porteous

Mar 13, 2023, 8:14:24 AM3/13/23
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Unlike other optional features this isn't controlled via a config/general.yml configuration option, I can't remember why we didn't add one originally.

It can be enabled by running:
bundle exec bin/rails runner 'AlaveteliFeatures.backend.enable(:close_and_anonymise)'

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Mattias Axell

Mar 14, 2023, 1:18:42 PM3/14/23
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Can this be enabled so that it is possible to add via config.yml too?

Gareth Rees

Mar 15, 2023, 5:19:42 AM3/15/23
to Alaveteli Dev
> Unlike other optional features this isn't controlled via a config/general.yml configuration option, I can't remember why we didn't add one originally.

We've always intended to get this enabled by default – we just wanted to run it for a while under real-world use in WhatDoTheyKnow.

> Can this be enabled so that it is possible to add via config.yml too?

We're trying to work on some improvements around account closure at the moment, as it's one of our biggest sources of user support mail. Instead of the current one-button approach, I've started splitting the actions into three steps (Close; Anonymise; Erase) [1] with the intention to have an admin button for each.

Basically – we're aiming to improve this for WDTK this year, and in doing so hopefully get rid of it being a configurable option altogether.

Best,

Gareth