Re: [NIgerianWorldForum] Re: Nigerian tax roll hits 13 million as 3 million new taxpayers enrol in 6 months

Joe Attueyi

Nov 29, 2016, 1:32:45 PM11/29/16
to NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Bring Your Baseball Bat, African GM, Okonkwonetworks, naija...@googlegroups.com, yahoogroups
Wakil
I am an accountant by training. I should have basic knowledge of Nigeria's tax laws.

The journalist reporting the chairman of FIRS may not be reporting properly what he ( thought) he heard.

I thought you are in Nigeria? Do you pay your income tax to FIRS?

 You probably don't even pay tax!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Nov 2016, at 4:08 PM, waki...@aol.com [NIgerianWorldForum] <NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Joe

But you are not working for Federal Inland Revenue Service, how would you know more than the Executive Chairman of Federal Inland Revenue Service?

Wakil Lawal

Nov 29, 2016, 2:50:41 PM11/29/16
to NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, African GM, Okonkwonetworks, Abba, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon
Wakil
I never understand why Nigerians like to argue over something they have no knowledge of. You neither live in Nigeria nor are you a tax practitioner but you want to debate tax practice?

Unlike the US where Feds collect tax from individuals, in Nigeria the Fed Inland Revenue Service has nothing to do with personal income tax ( except for folks who reside in FCT).

What exactly would FIRS be doing with database of individual tax payers?

Anyway I am out of this discussion. Life is too short for non value adding discussions.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Nov 2016, at 7:39 PM, waki...@aol.com [NIgerianWorldForum] <NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Joe

The States' data on individual tax payers is accessible to Federal Inland Revenue and it takes no special skills for the FIRS to extrapolate the tax trends in the states to project Nigerian tax roll. I am in the United States and at least I make minimum wage, it is mandatory that I file income tax for my tax refund or payment. Unlike Nigeria where an Accountant has audacity to report losses and still beats his chest as the most valuable citizen.

.

__,_._,___

Mobolaji Aluko

Nov 29, 2016, 8:09:56 PM11/29/16
to africanw...@googlegroups.com, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, Okonkwonetworks, Abba, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon, naijaintellects, OmoOdua, niger...@yahoogroups.com

Joe Attueyi:

I know that you are getting out of this discussion - so I may not get a response from you, but you got your facts and question wrong on at least two counts:

(1). In the US, it is NOT only the Federal Government (Feds) through its IRS that collects personal income tax (PIT), but the state AND local governments in which the payee resides. That payment is tracked by name, residential AND social security number, the last issued ONLY by the Federal Government to every citizen either at birth or upon being granted legal residency or citizenship.

(2). In Nigeria, it is true that you pay PIT only to the state government in which you reside (unless you are resident in the FCT or are a member of the Armed Forces), but within the past few years, every tax payer in Nigeria is required to have a Tax Identification Number (TIN) issued by the FIRS, a very welcome development I daresay. Furthermore, the tax table of the country is also uniform across the country, as approved by the National Assembly, signed into law by the President and REGULATED/MONITORED by the FIRS, which is also an advising agency to the Federal government on tax matters.

So why would you ask what the Nigerian FIRS wishes to do with a national tax database, even if only as a first cut on information on PIT paid across the country state-by-state, and about compliance? Could it not use the information to advise the Federal government on PIT (roll and collection) imbalances? Or even advise states, upon acting as a clearing house for inter-state information? Does the FIRS not have the obligation or responsibility of having for example a database on FEDERAL workers paying PIT to STATES across the country? Can a state worker not become a member of the Armed Forces - or a resident of FCT - tomorrow, and should it not be possible for the FIRS be able to independently verify the tax-paying history of such a citizen? Should it not be seamlessly made possibly to also collect federal PIT from Nigerian citizens in the future - as most countries in the world do?

The fact of the matter is that too many elites like yourself in Nigeria find ways wittingly and unwittingly to promote indiscipline in our country by encouraging the creation and/or leaving in place too many legacy loopholes through which crooks can jump. Then when some attempts to close the loopholes are created, you cry Blue Murder under the banner of tyranny, when in fact the Developed World is the most regulated when it comes to financial and security issues. The TSA in Nigeria is a prime example, where there are many people fighting tooth-and-nail to discredit it and have it abolished.

So be properly guided, Joe Attueyi. I am with Wakil Lawal on this one.

And there you have it.

Bolaji Alukko
> <https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/TqREGQOvPOVvVtkUcbu-5VB9OCll3YBoUlM1wKNJHnXCsQNhF103ydQ2I29gVUpHTcd8rfxvYBChxDg4Or0mCwxLIbxRnoGycPmaAwXtzayna2NMH615GNIKs3PJi24=s0-d-e1-ft#https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON>

> Have you tried the highest rated email app?
> With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.
> ________________________________
> Visit Your Group
>
> New Members 2
>
> <https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/0H4dpVBYnt8fMx25taz4HPHjzMS3zAzpyUfv85yQLjoNr5hFzk-H8c6lXpVY2sxK1v1uRMItgaQDFA8OMTH-hGPmlACfxHlK6CI3ZK9nuHq7tvilfqzoKQtsEPILYkAt8k1Y56E=s0-d-e1-ft#http://l.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/email/new_logo/logo-groups-137x15.png>

> • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
> .
> <https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/qEOfC6ZnsJc8ONzLht1KsvjUyMmFveN8Xtlgld55yaHM-13v6IQ0Cz66pJlBGgYYzLdbl67ZrHd_wDgx_rxp_0XB27252I7z_QDF6U4Anrni_aXsPXo8K_oLRFPZmP_psdl5pLUVHo79Y5JkA9gi0ML9k6tA5a0I-mo=s0-d-e1-ft#http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=27065299/grpspId=1705013556/msgId=586003/stime=1480448358>
> <https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/jQnpn2Cd-m0dJNqSCKqZENIkvoSrlpZVEIv5_CEibP8zHUi1xGdWxo1Dc_L0kYVrZUjOaRmX2euBJGz3giKv8-YjEBTpE7SyCCI1uch-70j-kxozP5qSrA_KEfQdIxs1DcJryV8YKJU_hLWbgIPFrRuxaI1ajYeFWA=s0-d-e1-ft#http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=515FB27823A7407E&a=10001310322279&js=no&resp=img&cf12=CP>
> __,_._,___
>
> --
>
> ---

Wilson Iguade

Nov 29, 2016, 8:20:26 PM11/29/16
to naija...@googlegroups.com, Esan Community, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, African GM, Okonkwonetworks, Truth As My Weapon
Joe,

You should practice what you preach (re: "Wakil I never understand why Nigerians like to argue over something they have no knowledge of").

You said "Unlike the US where Feds collect tax from individuals, in Nigeria the Fed Inland Revenue Service has nothing to do with personal income tax ( except for folks who reside in FCT)."

You have said these twice now in different forms, hence the need to help out my "junior", Joe Attueyi, a USA wannabe be living dude!

In the USA, income taxes are paid for some geographic areas at city, state and federal levels. For some areas, like Texas, yes income tax is federal, but property taxes make up for no state income tax. I repeat, the Federal government is NOT the only agency that collect income taxes from individuals in the USA as yours suggested.

Dude, you can watch CNN for the rest of your life, you will never understand the USA and stop comparing USA with Nigeria, okay!

Stay tuned. We have a lot of ignorance in the fora, hence the need for this GURU to hang around.

Sai Iguade

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NaijaEvent" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/naijaevent.

Wilson Iguade

Nov 29, 2016, 8:25:31 PM11/29/16
to africanw...@googlegroups.com, Esan Community, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, Okonkwonetworks, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon, naijaintellects, OmoOdua, niger...@yahoogroups.com
I just saw yours Dr. Aluko and I already posted a similar correction to Joe Attueyi - a wannabe living in USA dude - on his ignorance on USA tax collections.

Of course, I know thing about Nigeria's structure, thus, yours was very informative to me and am sure to many more.

Stay tuned! Iguade

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Attueyi

Nov 30, 2016, 1:38:42 AM11/30/16
to africanw...@googlegroups.com, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, Okonkwonetworks, Abba, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon, naijaintellects, OmoOdua, niger...@yahoogroups.com
2). In Nigeria, it is true that you pay PIT only to the state government in which you reside (unless you are resident in the FCT or are a member of the Armed Forces), but within the past few years, every tax payer in Nigeria is required to have a Tax Identification Number (TIN) issued by the FIRS,

Prof Aluko,
I was minded to ignore Wakil and move on because he had no idea on the subject matter and I have better things to do with my time.

Since you seem to have a better idea of the workings of tax administration in Nigeria and had until recently being a salary earner in Nigeria, could you educate us on the process by which you got your TIN issued by FIRS?

2. And educate us on the process by which FIRS 'regulates/ monitors' the PAYE tax table?

You wrote:
The fact of the matter is that too many elites like yourself in Nigeria find ways wittingly and unwittingly to promote indiscipline in our country by encouraging the creation and/or leaving in place too many legacy loopholes through which crooks can jump. Then when some attempts to close the loopholes are created, you cry Blue Murder under the banner of tyranny, when in fact the Developed World is the most regulated when it comes to financial and security issues

I am not sure where / how my discussion with Wakil veered into the excerpt above but we forumites are used to you by now. Your contributions here address not only the subject matter under discuss but serve as a tangent for you to speak to an unrelated audience on a 'remember me basis'.  I have stopped falling into that trap of joining you to deviate from topics under discussion.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Mobolaji Aluko

Nov 30, 2016, 7:33:58 AM11/30/16
to africanw...@googlegroups.com, topcrest topcrest, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, Okonkwonetworks, Abba, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon, naijaintellects, OmoOdua, niger...@yahoogroups.com, USAAfrica Dialogue, ekiti ekitigroups

Pastor Joe Attueyi:

I am painfully aware that people on these forums are by now also informed about what motivates your various notorious contributions on these Naija forums concerning the current PMB administration.  Through mockery, ill wishes, promotion of road blocks, etc., - and the occasional flash of good advice - you and your ilk wish to delay any progress  the administration might make to correct whatever it might have found on the ground.  Part of your mockery is to portray those of us who periodically express support and/or who push against you as "remember me" artistes jostling for positions in government - apparently positing yourself as as "Ignore me" or "forget me" artistes?

Fine then.  But always remember this:  if I were to write ONLY for your private benefit, I would send an email ONLY to your address.  But when I write to you and copy a number of other email addresses, it is MORE to enlighten, inform, educate, amuse, provide a point-of-view and  provoke those other persons MORE than yourself - and maybe in the process get some of those other people to educate me too on their own points-of-view.

Please always remember that.....

Now to your questions about obtaining TIN......

I have in my hands as I type these words my Joint Tax Board (JTB) TIN tax card, issued by the FIRS,  with a ten-digit number that starts with a 1 and ends with a 5. and with a computer chip on it,   It is very well printed and looks like a credit card. It was given to me in Yenagoa with an issue date of 15-04-2014 and an expiration date of 15-04-2024 - a ten-year period.  As a law-abiding citizen with nothing to hide, I applied for it according to published steps WITHIN a week or two after I saw the steps published by FIRS with full-page adverts in the newspapers.  That is also how I obtained my BVN card through a bank - which card I also have in my hands as I type - which is a much-simpler looking card, with my BVN  being a 11-digit number that starts with 2 and ends with a 9.  My BVN - which apparently has no expiration date - is linked to ALL my bank accounts here in Nigeria and to ALL associated credit cards, so that anybody who is permitted to can scrutinize my financial records while I was a public servant, and can even do so now that I am not.  I have nothing to hide.

At Otuoke, when I was VC, I insisted to the Bursary/ Salary office that for ANY STAFF  to be paid their salaries, they MUST have their TIN numbers and BVN numbers included in our computerized Payroll system.  To the best of my knowledge, everybody applied and  readily got both their TIN and BVN.  (By the way, at Otuoke, I also ensured that we moved all our 43 bank accounts to TSA without delay, in compliance with federal instructions, because I believe that was sound government policy to manage public revenue.)

Surely, you must have your BVN and TIN, Joe Attueyi?  One per person, please.....:-)

Moving on.....

If you wish to know more about obtaining TINs (both individual and corporate), you can visit:

          FIRS Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Obtaining/Updating/Validating Nigeria

and

            A NEW WAY OF DOING TRADE IN NIGERIA
           Single Window for Trade - FIRS User Manual

As to the regulatory functions of the FIRS in taxation in Nigeria, I simply refer you to partial news items:

QUOTE

           Nigeria: Lower Company Income Tax Underway, says FIRS Boss

           By Tokunbo Adedoja
           Lagos — Chairman, Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Mrs Ifueko Omoigui-
           Okauru, has said her agency is considering the reduction of company income tax
           presently pegged at 30 per cent.

           Speaking in Lagos, weekend, Omoigui-Okauru also disclosed that a law that stipulates
           that banks should demand for tax details of new account holders had been gazetted.
           She, however, said this had been done since 2007.

UNQUOTE

and to this reference below (which I urge you to read thoroughly) and where, among other things, you will note that the Chair of the FIRS is also the Chair of the Joint Tax Board comprising all State Revenue Boards, where they monitor, regulate and control ALL government taxes - government here meaning ALL tiers of government.

QUOTE
Problems and Prospects of Internal Generated Revenue in FIRS of Nigeria

 3.2 Description of the Federal Inland Revenue Service

The Nigerian Federal Inland Revenue Service, (FIRS) was created in 1943. It was carved from the erstwhile Inland Revenue Department that covered what was then the Anglophone West Africa (including Ghana, Sierra Leone) during the colonial era. Tax provides revenue to fund government, ensure resource redistribution streamlines consumption of certain goods and service, reduces inflation and generates employment. The Federal Inland Revenue Service is constitutionally empowered to collect taxes by income tax ordinance of 1958. The name was later changed in 1961 when the Federal Board of Inland Revenue (FBIR) was established under section 4 of the companies and income tax act (CITA) No. 22 of 1961. FBIR operated then as a department in the federal ministry of finance. A further transformation took place in 1993 when the finance (miscellaneous taxation provision) Act No.3 of 1993 established the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) as the operational arm of FBIR. The act also created the office of the executive chairman of the board. In 2007, the Federal Inland Revenue Service Establishment Act,(2007), which granted autonomy to the service, was enacted. The FIRS is one of the federal ministries, department and agencies (MDAs) undergoing massive changes. In 2005, Integrated Tax Office, (ITOs) replaced the old tax office-which were structured along tax types: value added tax office, personal income tax office, petroleum/international tax office, withholding tax office Area tax office. The new one stop-shop for all tax types lessened the burden of taxpayer, who can now transact their tax business under one roof. The Federal Inland Revenue Service turned out to be the mother of all tax laws in Nigeria; it has not only harnessed and consolidated all previous tax laws  but also provided full autonomy and created various laws that will surely help the tax man in the enforcement of tax laws. The main functions of the Federal Inland Revenue Service are enunciated under section 8 of the act; and the function include;

  *assess persons including companies, enterprises chargeable with tax;  b)

  * assess, collect, account and reinforce payment of tax as may be due to the government or any of its agencies; c)

   * Collect, recover and pay to the designated account any tax under any  provision of this Act or any other enactment or law; d)

  * In collaboration with the relevant ministries and agencies, review the tax regimes and promote the application of tax revenues to stimulate economic activities and development;

Those are some of the basic functions of the Federal Inland Revenue Service as contained in the establishment Act. The Federal Inland Revenue Service as the one agency that has the capacity both as itself and as the chair of the Join Tax Board does all it could to reduce or even eradicate the incidence of multiplicity of taxes due to the negative effect such has on, not only collection but also investment generally; both locally and foreign.

UNQUOTE

If you have any other questions - even cheeky ones - let me assure you,  Accountant Pastor Joe Attueyi, that yours truly,  Engineer Professor Bolaji Aluko,  will be happy to answer them :-)

And there you have it.

Bolaji Aluko
Shaking his head

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 'Joe Attueyi' via AfricanWorldForum <africanworldforum@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Wakil
> I never understand why Nigerians like to argue over something they have no knowledge of. You neither live in Nigeria nor are you a tax practitioner but you want to debate tax practice?
> Unlike the US where Feds collect tax from individuals, in Nigeria the Fed Inland Revenue Service has nothing to do with personal income tax ( except for folks who reside in FCT).
> What exactly would FIRS be doing with database of individual tax payers?
> Anyway I am out of this discussion. Life is too short for non value adding discussions.
> Joe
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> On 29 Nov 2016, at 7:39 PM, waki...@aol.com [NIgerianWorldForum] <NIgerianWorldForum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

> Joe
>
> The States' data on individual tax payers is accessible to Federal Inland Revenue and it takes no special skills for the FIRS to extrapolate the tax trends in the states to project Nigerian tax roll. I am in the United States and at least I make minimum wage, it is mandatory that I file income tax for my tax refund or payment. Unlike Nigeria where an Accountant has audacity to report losses and still beats his chest as the most valuable citizen.
>
> Wakil Lawal

Ohima Oliha

Dec 6, 2016, 12:18:17 AM12/6/16
to africanw...@googlegroups.com, topcrest topcrest, alu...@gmail.com, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Politics Naija, Okonkwonetworks, Abba, naija...@googlegroups.com, Truth As My Weapon, naijaintellects, OmoOdua, niger...@yahoogroups.com, USAAfrica Dialogue, ekiti ekitigroups
Prof Aluko,
It seems you are no
longer the Vice-Chancellor,
bad policy, such university