Replace Spring dependency management by a single gradle file

Daniel Passos

Mar 29, 2018, 5:09:12 PM3/29/18
to AeroGear ML, AeroGear ML

Hi,

While working on push stuff I figure out Spring dependency management[1] doesn’t work properly with Gradle transitive dependencies[2].

TL;DR It’s ignoring the transitive dependencies and on push, it causes some dependency conflicts. Since Google Services plugin doesn’t found any dependency it’s going to inject it from your on.

Android dependency 'com.google.firebase:firebase-iid' has different version for the compile (11.4.2) and runtime (12.0.1) classpath.

I’ve sent a PR[3] to remove it for now and revisit it in the future. I have moved all our dependencies version for a single file[4] like most of the libraries do.

This also will make us a little more fast and flexible to do changes in our dependencies.

Any thoughts?

[1] https://github.com/spring-gradle-plugins/dependency-management-plugin
[2] https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/managing_transitive_dependencies.html
[3] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-sdk/pull/173
[4] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-sdk/blob/master/constants.gradle

--
-- Passos

Matthias Wessendorf

Mar 29, 2018, 5:37:56 PM3/29/18
to Daniel Passos, AeroGear ML, AeroGear ML
sounds good to me.

TBH, I found it quite confusing, seening that spring dependency in there, just because of BOM support

Project lead AeroGear.org

Summers Pittman

Mar 29, 2018, 5:46:22 PM3/29/18
to Aerogear
I'm +1 on this but I do want to come back and revisit the bom again in the future.

The original goal of the bom was to be able to present to users a "known good" constellation of dependencies that can be used with our SDKs while also giving our users the ability to override them as necessary.  However, because of how the spring plugin interacted with the firebase plugin, when the firebase plugin tried to determine the versions of transitive dependencies a nullpointerexception was raised because the spring plugin hadn't put the values where the google plugin expected them.  When we revisit it we may need to send a PR to one or both of those projects to make it all work.

Matthias Wessendorf

Mar 29, 2018, 5:47:59 PM3/29/18
to Summers Pittman, Aerogear
PR against firebase plugin? Good luck !