Demo of shared keycloak service

Craig Brookes

Mar 6, 2018, 11:57:17 AM3/6/18
to Mobile Dev, Aerogear, Joe O'Reilly, John Frizelle, Nano Gough
Hey everyone. Jameel on the core team has put together a great demo of provisioning a shared Keycloak service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xvBA6UFRY&feature=youtu.be

Feedback welcome

 --
Craig Brookes
RHMAP

Dara Hayes

Mar 7, 2018, 4:25:27 AM3/7/18
to Craig Brookes, Mobile Dev, Aerogear, Joe O'Reilly, John Frizelle, Nano Gough
Well done Jameel, great work! :)

Dara Hayes

Associate software engineer

TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.

David Martin

Mar 7, 2018, 4:51:00 AM3/7/18
to Dara Hayes, Craig Brookes, Mobile Dev, Aerogear, Joe O'Reilly, John Frizelle, Nano Gough
Nice demo.
Very thorough.

David Martin
Red Hat Mobile
Twitter: @irldavem
IRC: @irldavem (#aerogear)

Nano Gough

Mar 7, 2018, 5:03:18 AM3/7/18
to David Martin, Dara Hayes, Craig Brookes, Mobile Dev, Aerogear, Joe O'Reilly, John Frizelle
Great demo Jameel - very clear and easy to follow.
--
Nano Gough

Senior Principal Product Manager
RedHat Mobile

Tel (mob): +353 (0) 86 3651465

Jason Madigan

Mar 7, 2018, 5:27:14 AM3/7/18
to Craig Brookes, Mobile Dev, Aerogear, Joe O'Reilly, John Frizelle, Nano Gough
Great video Jameel

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM, Craig Brookes <cbro...@redhat.com> wrote:

Jason Madigan
Engineering Manager, Red Hat Mobile

Evan Shortiss

Mar 7, 2018, 2:20:57 PM3/7/18
to Jason Madigan, Craig Brookes, Mobile Dev, Nano Gough, Aerogear
Nice video!

Some questions that might be obvious, but stem from my lack of in-depth keycloak knowledge.
  1. The linkedkc service. Is that creating a realm in the sharedkc, or is it a whole new keycloak service with it's own URL/route AND a realm in the sharedkc?
  2. Is the value add of doing this (linking) reusability of an existing keycloak across projects?
--

EVAN SHORTISS

MOBILE DEVELOPER

Red Hat NA

Los Angeles

evan.s...@redhat.com    M: +1-781-354-2834     IM: @evanshortiss

Craig Brookes

Mar 7, 2018, 3:19:22 PM3/7/18
to Evan Shortiss, Jason Madigan, Mobile Dev, Nano Gough, Aerogear
  1. The linkedkc service. Is that creating a realm in the sharedkc, or is it a whole new keycloak service with it's own URL/route AND a realm in the sharedkc?
  2. Is the value add of doing this (linking) reusability of an existing keycloak across projects?

In short yes and yes

It is setting up a new public client, user and potentially realm (depending on if it exists already). It is not recreating a whole new kc
yes reusability and reducing resource consumption is the goal !

Craig

Evan Shortiss

Mar 8, 2018, 6:39:13 PM3/8/18
to Craig Brookes, Jason Madigan, Mobile Dev, Nano Gough, Aerogear
Awesome, thanks for the response!

Actually, it might be good in these videos if we state something like that? I note after looking back on a few I've had questions like "why" or "what" in relation to the goal of the video.

Of course the target audience might be more so the team involved who already know the "how, what, and why" so feel free to tell me to get lost!

John Frizelle

Mar 9, 2018, 4:50:18 AM3/9/18
to Evan Shortiss, Craig Brookes, Jason Madigan, Mobile Dev, Nano Gough, Aerogear
+1 Evan - these videos should be of value to the wider community, so we need to get better at explaining what we are doing and more importantly *why* we are doing it. The User Story that the video is being created for should provide the why, so it should just be a case of expanding on that a little at the start of the video to provide context.

e.g. "In this video we are going to demonstrate how to set up a single Keycloak instance and share that instance across multiple projects. This allows a single Keycloak instance to be reused for multiple clients without the need to provision a dedicated Keycloak instance foreach one."

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

twitter: @johnfriz