Mobile SDK package name.

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 18, 2018, 7:08:12 AM1/18/18
to aero...@googlegroups.com, AeroGear Developer Mailing List
We are at the phase of publishing some early versions of SDK packages to maven and coocoapods.
I'm curious what will be the the desired name for the SDK and overall mobile.next initiative?

Current package name:

AerogearSDK may be confusing for long term as there are already aerogear core SDK libraries.

Regards
--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 18, 2018, 7:21:29 AM1/18/18
to aero...@googlegroups.com, AeroGear Developer Mailing List
Some suggestions from offline discussions:

Upstream name:
AeroGear Mobile Services - AMS

Example package name:
org.aerogear.ams-core

Matthias Wessendorf

Jan 18, 2018, 10:38:59 AM1/18/18
to Wojciech Trocki, Aerogear, AeroGear Developer Mailing List
-1 on using '-' in the package name

Matthias Wessendorf

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 19, 2018, 11:42:46 AM1/19/18
to Matthias Wessendorf, Aerogear, AeroGear Developer Mailing List
@Matthias - What will be your suggestion if we drop that?

I'm just looking for opinions as if we publish that with wrong name, any eventual rename may be really difficult and confusing for community.

Matthias Wessendorf

Jan 20, 2018, 5:05:02 AM1/20/18
to Wojciech Trocki, AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
ams.core

Matthias Wessendorf

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 22, 2018, 5:18:52 AM1/22/18
to Matthias Wessendorf, AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
What we have proposed for IOS:

Bundle id:

org.aerogear.ams

Top Level SDK objects

pod AmsCore
pod AmsSync
pod AmsPush

This names are available in cocoapods.
Other variations around Aerogear are already taken.

Any other suggestions? Anyone against that? Happy to apply suggestions.

Mixing different AeroGear packages may be difficult for community when trying to list them in package manager.
Having full name is not the best IMHO as it may lead to really long names and it will colide with existing packages. For example `AeroGearCoreNetworkLayerService`

I will wait couple days and apply this changes if no objections.
I personally do not care as much about names as long there is consistency around platform SDK's and documentation.

Should we adjust Android naming/packages to support the same?

Regards

ams.core

Matthias Wessendorf

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Sent from Gmail Mobile

pbr...@redhat.com

Jan 22, 2018, 5:36:33 AM1/22/18
to Aerogear
The only potential issue i can see with 'pod AmsCore' is that it sounds a bit like AWS. Not sure if anybody would really confuse them though. An alternative could be 'AgmCore' (AerogearMobileCore).

>> Should we adjust Android naming/packages to support the same?

I'm not familiar with iOS/Swift package name conventions but what about using those for the Java packages:

'org.jboss.aerogear.agcore'
'org.jboss.aerogear.agsync'

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 22, 2018, 5:57:52 AM1/22/18
to Peter Braun, Aerogear
Could we do something like this?:

For android:

org.jboss.aerogear.agscore - AeroGear Services Core

For IOS:

AgsCore

This package name convention will allow us to maintain the same naming for all SDK's.

agcore and agserviceAnyName are used already.

We can use npm organization to hide that, but it still will be very confusing with other already existing AeroGear packages.

To rephrase my original question:

Could we rename Android package to make it more unique so we can have the same package names across all mobile platform?

Regards

Jose Miguel Gallas Olmedo

Jan 22, 2018, 6:01:02 AM1/22/18
to AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Matthias Wessendorf, Aerogear
+1 on avoiding dashes in package names, ams.core sounds good for Android.

I also agree the full names are painful but I think it shouldn't be necessary. For your example I would call the package "NetworkLayerService" because it will be included in the "Aerogear.Core" namespace anyway, right?

JOSE MIGUEL GALLAS OLMEDO

ASSOCIATE QE, mobile

Red Hat

M: +34618488633

Matthias Wessendorf

Jan 22, 2018, 6:27:43 AM1/22/18
to Jose Miguel Gallas Olmedo, AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
Let's please use "org.aerogear.****" - not "org.jboss.aerogear.***"

we started recently doing that for new developments, see:

-M

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 22, 2018, 8:33:26 AM1/22/18
to Matthias Wessendorf, Jose Miguel Gallas Olmedo, AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
To summarize answers, proposition is to have:

For android:

org.aerogear.ags.core - AeroGear Services Core
org.aerogear.ags.sync - AeroGear Services Sync

For IOS:

AgsCore
AgsSync

For Node/Javascript

@aerogear/ags-core ?
@aerogear/ags-sync

While this topic may seem trivial it's really important decision that may have implications in the future and requires wider agreement and awareness.

This naming pattern will imply that "upstream" name for sdks in mobile.next() initiative will be AeroGear Services.
This can go even further and we can name our SDK plugins using the same prefix.
We are skipping "Mobile" from  "AeroGear Mobile Services" as AeroGear means mobile :]

Regards

Message has been deleted

Summers Pittman

Jan 22, 2018, 9:04:06 AM1/22/18
to Aerogear

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 5:57:52 AM UTC-5, Wojciech T wrote:
Could we do something like this?:

For android:

org.jboss.aerogear.agscore - AeroGear Services Core

My thought would be closer to org.aerogear.android.ags.core

org.aerogear I think is accepted by consensus at this point.
org.aerogear.android is to differentiate between things designed to run in/in android and everything else.
org.aerogear.android.ags is to differentiate between our sdk packages and other applications (IE if we had a demo app it would be org.aerogear.android.$demoname)
and finally org.aerogear.android.ags.$servicename for individual services.

Worst case scenario, we get this wrong and let a refactoring tool make a gigantic PR before we hit 1.0

Wojciech Trocki

Jan 24, 2018, 5:50:28 AM1/24/18
to Summers Pittman, Aerogear
Thanks Summers. I created simple proposal to finalize this effort:

After including all suggestions names are:

For android:

org.aerogear.ags.android.core - AeroGear Services Core
org.aerogear.ags.android.sync - AeroGear Services Sync

For IOS:

AeroGear/AgsCore
AeroGear/AgsSync

Node/Javascript

@aerogear/ags-core
@aerogear/ags-sync

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM, <supi...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 8:33:26 AM UTC-5, Wojciech T wrote:
To summarize answers, proposition is to have:

For android:

org.aerogear.ags.core - AeroGear Services Core
org.aerogear.ags.sync - AeroGear Services Sync

I propose a minor change to org.aerogear.android.ags.*

org.aerogear.ags seems more like it would be for upstream, java based projects.

org.aerogear.android would be the toplevel for both the SDKs (specifically org.aerogear.android.ags) and example apps (org.aerogear.android.$appname).

ams.core

Matthias Wessendorf

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Sent from Gmail Mobile

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Matthias Wessendorf

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Daniel Passos

Jan 25, 2018, 6:42:51 AM1/25/18
to AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
I'd like to propose:

org.aerogear.android.service.core
AeroGearServiceCore
-- Passos

Jose Miguel Gallas Olmedo

Jan 26, 2018, 2:21:13 AM1/26/18
to Daniel Passos, AeroGear Developer Mailing List, Aerogear
​I like Passos' idea too. However  I would use services in plural instead of plain service. AGS means AeroGear already anyway so perhaps aerogear.ags ends up being a bit redundant, like "AeroGear AeroGearServices". Are there any other "services" in AeroGear that could be confused with?

JOSE MIGUEL GALLAS OLMEDO

ASSOCIATE QE, mobile

Red Hat

M: +34618488633