Athens Geotargets

Nikos Papandreou

Mar 14, 2018, 1:32:52 AM3/14/18
to AdWords API Forum
I was about to setup AdWords, when I realized that major geotargets for Attica region are missing (v2018.03.06).
Major suburbs of Athens are missing, even the one my business is located.
I would like to specify all regions that we can deliver our services.
Is there an option to use Post Codes instead of geotargets (cities/municipalities)?
Could the list be updated according to google map cities?

Peter Oliquino

Mar 14, 2018, 2:42:51 AM3/14/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Nikos,

Location criteria of TargetType = Postal Code are available in the geo targeting spreadsheet of the AdWords API. As for the missing locations that you mentioned, could you provide more information as to which of the locations are not included in the said spreadsheet?

Thanks and regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team

Nikos Papandreou

Mar 14, 2018, 7:18:28 AM3/14/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Peter,

I used the geo targeting spreadsheet but didn't find the areas I was missing, so I posted here my question.

Some of the missing areas are:
  • elliniko
  • argyroupoli
  • glyfada
  • vari
  • voula
  • vouliagmeni
  • ilion
  • petroupoli

and the list can keep going. The adwords is missing more than half of Athens municipalities, that are available to Google Maps.

Furthermore, I can't seem to be able to enter a post code such as 16674 to define a geolocation.

Peter Oliquino

Mar 15, 2018, 1:47:49 AM3/15/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Nikos,

Thank you for sending the names of the missing areas. I looked them up using the AdWords UI search location feature and I can confirm that they are also non-existent in the targetable locations by AdWords. I would not be able to log this as a feature request for the AdWords API since the said locations are also not available from the AdWords UI and the API only mirrors what is available from the UI. I would recommend that you get in touch with the product experts in the AdWords Community Forum should you wish to discuss this matter further in the UI side.

As for using postal codes for targeting, you will first need to filter the geo targeting spreadsheet using the Target Type = Postal Code filter then identify its Criteria ID. Once you have identified the ID, you can then use that criteria ID for targeting using the AdWords API.

Best regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team