INVALID_USER_INTEREST error for Affinity Audience and In Market Audience Options Returned from ConstantDataService.getUserInterestCriterion

drus...@system1.com

May 2, 2018, 1:30:31 AM5/2/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

So my team is getting the list of affinity and in-market audiences from the ConstantDataService.getUserInterestCriterion service, but when submitting an adgroup with audience targeting, get something like:
    1. errorString:"CriterionError.INVALID_USER_INTEREST"
    2. errorType:"CriterionError"
    3. fieldPath:"operations[1].operand.criterion.userInterestId"
    4. reason:"INVALID_USER_INTEREST"
    5. trigger:"80297"

Some audience id's work but some fail. I seem to see a correlation: some audience id's work for some campaigns, but fail for others.

Is there a way to fetch user interest criterion lists for affinity audience and in-market audience based on their validity for a certain campaign? If the campaign -> auidience mapping isn't the issue, what could be the issue?

Best,
Daniel

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

May 2, 2018, 5:22:17 PM5/2/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello Daniel,

Some criterion are only valid for certain campaign types. The ConstantDataService does not currently have the ability to convey the compatibility of each of these with certain kinds of campaigns. We are in the process of trying to figure out a solution for that. It looks like this is what you may be experiencing. If you check in the UI, you'll see that for certain campaign types, some user interests will show up while other will not. That same thing is the case for the API, but in this case, you're experiencing an error.

Best,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

drus...@system1.com

May 2, 2018, 6:56:12 PM5/2/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks for the quick reply Nadine! That's good to know. I assume there's nowhere I can see the campaign_type -> audience mapping?

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

May 3, 2018, 8:52:50 AM5/3/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately, no. That's the part we're working on. I'm in the process of looking for a temporary workaround in the meantime, but it's tricky to find a good format or a good place to put it.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Diogo Pereira

Jun 12, 2019, 11:08:11 AM6/12/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

This problem are solved? I need to integrate with gmail campaign where i have my list with business areas and i need to match with affinity audiences

Diogo Pereira

Jun 13, 2019, 7:04:52 AM6/13/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

I create an fork repository and add examples for how retrieve user insterest.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 13, 2019, 7:53:45 PM6/13/19
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to do that for people!

Best,
Nadine, Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UBmuwu:ref

Diogo Pereira

Jun 14, 2019, 4:36:36 AM6/14/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum

David Wihl

Sep 12, 2019, 9:58:03 AM9/12/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
The new Google Ads API has addressed this issue. The UserInterestService implements an additional availability attribute to surface which user interests can be used in a given context. For example, running a GAQL query of

SELECT user_interest.name, user_interest.availabilities, user_interest.taxonomy_type,
       user_interest.user_interest_parent
FROM user_interest
WHERE user_interest.taxonomy_type IN ('AFFINITY', 'IN_MARKET')

will return

{
      "userInterest": {
        "resourceName": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80001",
        "taxonomyType": "IN_MARKET",
        "name": "Autos & Vehicles",
        "availabilities": [
          {
            "channel": {
              "availabilityMode": "CHANNEL_TYPE_AND_ALL_SUBTYPES",
              "advertisingChannelType": "SEARCH",
              "includeDefaultChannelSubType": true
            },
            "locale": [
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ar"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "bg"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ca"

    {
      "userInterest": {
        "resourceName": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80006",
        "taxonomyType": "IN_MARKET",
        "name": "Motorcycles",
        "userInterestParent": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80171",
        "availabilities": [
          {
            "channel": {
              "availabilityMode": "CHANNEL_TYPE_AND_ALL_SUBTYPES",
              "advertisingChannelType": "SEARCH",
              "includeDefaultChannelSubType": true
            },
            "locale": [
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ar"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "cs"
              }