Are ChangedCampaignData values reliable?

dp...@klientboost.com

Feb 1, 2019, 6:08:39 AM2/1/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
In the documentation, each campaign object in the CustomerChangeData (which you get back via the CustomerSyncService) has a campaign ID, campaignChangeStatus, and/or changedAdGroups array.
However, it says in the documentation that if campaignChangeStatus is equal to "FIELDS_UNCHANGED" that the campaign wasn't modified directly BUT its children could have been changed. Is it safe to assume that if we get a campaign object with a changedAdGroups array and a status of "FIELDS_UNCHANGED" that it means that campaign's adgroups were modified, whereas a campaign with only a "FIELDS_UNCHANGED" status and no changedAdGroups array is unmodified?

Also, if we request change history from the customerSyncService and there are no changes, what value will we receive for the lastChangeTimestamp? I don't see any of this outlined in the API documentation, or maybe I missed it.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

googleadsapi...@google.com

Feb 1, 2019, 3:59:06 PM2/1/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello,

Please find my responses below:

1. The FIELDS_UNCHANGED only refers to the field of the entity itself, and not its children. That said, if you get FIELDS_UNCHANGED status for the campaign, that campaign is not changed but there may still be changes to its children like AdGroup, keyword. For more information, please refer to this document.

2. The last change timestamp is not the time when you changed the entity (Campaign, AdGroup, Keyword), but the timestamp for the last changed processed for this customer. The last change timestamp indicates what time you should specify as the start time in your next request. This is a safety feature in case changes are made during your request, so that you can be sure that you never miss a change on consecutive calls to the service. This is true even if there were no changes. Even if you ran the customerSyncService against an inactive account, the lastChange will return value something like below:

<ns2:lastChangeTimestamp>20190201 084914 PST8PDT</ns2:lastChangeTimestamp>

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Milind, AdWords API Team
    http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.com/search/label/adwords_api
    https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/community/

Was your question answered? Please rate your experience with us by taking a short survey.
If not -- reply to this email and tell us what else we can do to help.

Take Survey