listAccessibleCustomers for any account

Max Headroom

Nov 7, 2019, 11:35:30 AM11/7/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I have the following issue developing a third party service that needs to integrate with client's Google Ads accounts

My business account A@gmail.com is
  • configured for API access, has developer token TA
  • can authenticate via OAuth and execute google ads api calls ending developer token TA
  • I can make a successful call to istAccessibleCustomers to list all the resource names of customers directly accessible by A...@gmail.com (the user authenticating the call)
Now, if I another account (i.e. a client account B@gmail.com) authenticates and I send a request with B's OAuth credentials and my developer token TA, I cannot listAccessibleCustomers, getting the error:
"Request is missing required authentication credential. Expected OAuth 2 access token, login cookie or other valid authentication credential."

Does this mean that the developer token will allow me to access only accounts under my business account A...@gmail.com and not under any other client account that authenticates, granting me the adwords scope?
If so, is there a way to have access to any authenticated user's accounts, since they grant the adwords scope in the OAuth dialog?

Please correct me if I'm wrong and if there's a better way to implement a 3rd party app with access to any authorised account (as we already do when uploading videos to any channel of authenticated users).

Thanks in advance.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Nov 7, 2019, 4:10:27 PM11/7/19
to maxhead...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Max,

I understand your concern. Once you have an approved developer token you can use it to any account it wouldn't throw any error. The shared error will occur when the access token is not passed to the API call properly. Access token is the one linked to your email address and using which you can access only account that are accessible using that email address and the account under their hierarchy.

If you share the complete request and response that you are passing I would be able to take a look. Please use reply privately to the author option while sharing the information requested. Also, you could refer the API call structure here to see if you are missing access token in the header part of your request.

Regards,
Sai Teja, Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UMWarH:ref