The results from two Google Ads APIs are different

Nan Wu

Jul 18, 2019, 6:31:39 AM7/18/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

We use two APIs to get the data from Google Ads which are 'campaign location target' API and 'campaign performance' API, but the click results from two APIs
are different. The results from 'campaign performance' API is right. So how can we get the correct click results from 'campaign location target' API?

Here are two results in attachments and the txt file is the source code with ’campaign location target‘.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you.

campaign location target source code.txt
results.png

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 19, 2019, 1:59:03 AM7/19/19
to adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Upon checking your account, both values from the Campaign Performance Report and the Campaign Location Target Report are identical with the values in Google Ads UI. We don't recommend comparing those reports as the Campaigns Performance report includes all statistics aggregated by default at the campaign level, while the Campaign Location Target Report summarizes the performance of campaigns by location-based CampaignCriterion.

Also, you may refer to this guide to see the reports in the Google Ads UI to the comparable AdWords API reports (Campaigns report and Campaigns Location Target Report section).

Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Regards,
Hiroyuki
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001U8M97V:ref

Igor Selitsky

Aug 13, 2019, 11:54:04 AM8/13/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Could you explain why do reports show different numbers?
Does Campaign Performance always show higher values?
In my case numbers are almost the same, but sometimes differ. For one campaign I see  cost higher by 4% in Campaign Location Target Report.

Currently where is no way to get geo split for UAC campaigns, so Campaign Location Target Report is the only way to get region split for such campaigns.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 14, 2019, 3:07:54 AM8/14/19
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

Could you confirm if my understanding is correct that you are comparing the data of generated in Campaign Performance Report and Campaign Location Target Report? I am afraid that you will indeed experience data discrepancies as the data/metrics of the said report are accumulated at different level.

The Campaign Performance Report should return all statistics generated for the campaign, including those triggered by different, ads or criteria. The Campaign Location Target Report, on the other hand, focuses only on statistics generated by location criteria that are explicitly being targeted by the campaign. That said, you are correct that you can use the Campaign Location Target Report to get the targeted location of campaigns.

Regards,
Ejay

Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UEItY6:ref

Igor Selitsky

Aug 14, 2019, 8:52:42 AM8/14/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Yes, I compare these reports by total Cost, Click, Impressions by campaign.
For example campaign Id 1987714293 for period 1 Jul-1Aug 2019:
Campaign Location Target Report show Total: Campaign and total locations 6,820,561.27 (other locations is zero).
Campaign Performance report 6,553,931.27

Campaign targeted on 2 regions and 1 city.

CustomerId (AccountId) 349-144-0106.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 15, 2019, 2:32:06 AM8/15/19
to seli...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

Thanks for providing further details.

So that I can further investigate, could you send to me the report definition(including date filters, if any) used to generate the Campaign Performance Report and Campaign Location Target Report?

Igor Selitsky

Aug 15, 2019, 6:41:31 AM8/15/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
I use python SDK.
Campaign Performance:
   report_downloader = client.GetReportDownloader(version='v201809')

  report_query = (adwords.ReportQueryBuilder()
                  .Select('CampaignId', 'CampaignName', 'Cost')
                  .From('CAMPAIGN_PERFORMANCE_REPORT')
                  .Where('Cost').GreaterThan('0')
                  .Where('AdvertisingChannelSubType').EqualTo('UNIVERSAL_APP_CAMPAIGN')
                  .During(start_date='20190701', end_date='20190801')
                  .Build())

  report_downloader.DownloadReportWithAwql(
      report_query, 'CSV', sys.stdout, skip_report_header=False,
      skip_column_header=False, skip_report_summary=False,
      include_zero_impressions=True)

Введите код...

Campaign Target Location:
    report_downloader = client.GetReportDownloader(version='v201809')

    report_query = (
        adwords.ReportQueryBuilder().Select('CampaignId', 'CampaignName'
            'Id','Cost').From('CAMPAIGN_LOCATION_TARGET_REPORT')
        .Where('CampaignId').In('1987714293')