Ad description: AdError.LINE_TOO_WIDE

tileex...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2017, 8:03:24 AM9/15/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi!
We send a request to create an ad with a countdown.
The description has the form:

"Home delivery to USA by 11/20/17 if order paid within {=COUNTDOWN("2017/10/05 00:00:00", 'en-US', 21)} and tiles in stock"

In response we get:

AdError.LINE_TOO_WIDE

But the description length is not more than 80 characters:

"Home delivery to USA by 11/20/17 if order paid within XX days and tiles in stock"

There are 80

But create an ad is not allowed. We get an error - LINE_TOO_WIDE.

Tell me what could be the problem?

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Sep 15, 2017, 1:42:41 PM9/15/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

The LINE_TOO_WIDE error is experienced when the lines in an ad exceeds the maximum allowed length. In this case the description has a character limit of 80. Please note that the Countdown in ads are displayed as time remaining until your end date with "days," "hours," or "mins." For Eg., if the Ad is shown say 10 hours before the end date, then the Description would be "Home delivery to USA by 11/20/17 if order paid within 10 hours and tiles in stock" which exceeds the maximum allowed length. You can take a look at our length limits documentation here.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team

Stefano Fontana

Nov 24, 2017, 10:55:33 AM11/24/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Based on our experiements the length of the COUNTDOWN(.....) function seems to be 8.
However I couldn't find any official documentation stating that this is the length.
Could you confirm whether 8 characters is always the calculated space (no matter the language being used)?

Thanks

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Nov 27, 2017, 12:35:03 PM11/27/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Stefano,

When your ad shows with a countdown, it displays the remaining time until the end date with "days", "hours" and "mins.". For Eg: if the number of days before the end date in the Countdown is 18 hours, this will count as 8 characters. You may refer to this guide about Countdown customizers and and this support article about the character limits. Additionally, if you're implementing this from the API, could you provide us error logs along with the Ad description, so I can take a look and assist you further?

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team