Ads with non-zero impressions not entering enabled state with daily segmentation in AdPerformanceReport

Felix

Apr 9, 2018, 5:53:25 AM4/9/18
to AdWords API Forum

Hi,

I've extracted two times the AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT, the 1) with no segmentation and the 2) with segmentation by date.

Report 1) shall give aggregated metrics about ads over all time whereas report 2) is used to analyze trends and especially the active time (status=enabled) of each ad.

It's surprising that when executing a left outer join from 1) to 2) on the ad_id that in roughly 50% of the cases an individual ad didn't enter an enabled state on any day in report 2).
If all ad states are considered (disabled/enabled/paused) the join performs as expected.

Note that there isn't a correlation between the impressions, clicks or conversions of an ad and if it is successfully joined or not.
In other words, although an ad isn't found with state=enabled in report 2) it doesn't mean that it has only very low to zero metrics - which is in my view confusing since an ad with a considerable amount of impressions must have been enabled at some point of time.

I'm considering for this experiment only AdNetworkType1=AdNetworkType2=SEARCH and AdType in [EXPANDED?_TEXT_AD, EXPANDED?_DYNAMIC_SEARCH_AD] and a few mio ads.

I've extracted report 2) only with the fields ad_id, ad_group_id, ad_state, date and have the feeling that I'm not receiving all rows which I expected to receive. Am I the first one experiencing this behavior?

Best,
Felix

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Apr 9, 2018, 2:59:55 PM4/9/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Felix,

Are you using AdWords API to generate these reports? The Ad Performance Report will generate stats at the ad level with one row per ad. Could you provide us the AdId and the AdGroup Id for the specific Ad that you're referring to for your experiment? If the specific Ad is not paused/enabled/disabled in the AdWords UI, the same status will be returned in the API reports.

It is not possible to enable or disable ads based on the impressions, clicks or conversions count through the report stats. If your concern is different, could you elaborate the specific results you're looking for and share with us the complete report definition, so I can take a closer look? Please use Reply privately to author option to provide the details.

Thanks,
Bharani, AdWords API Team

Felix

Apr 10, 2018, 10:57:01 AM4/10/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Bharani,

I think I have intepreted the field "Status" of an ad incorrectly, because it is an attribute and just shows the most recent status of an ad - regardless of the segementation.
Thus, I'm not able to see the time intervals when specific ads have been enabled, paused or disabled.

Is there still a way to retrieve the status of an ad based on the date or do I have to receive this info indirectly by intepreting the metrics?

- Felix

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Apr 10, 2018, 4:48:54 PM4/10/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Felix,

The Status field in the Ad Performance Report is of the type Attribute which will return the current state state of the account, ignoring the timespan of the report. So pulling the API report to retrieve status based on date, will return the current status of the Ad.

Let me know if you have any additonal questions.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team