Linking ad, keyword, and placement performance reports

vinyl

Mar 14, 2012, 6:46:58 PM3/14/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm trying to link the ad, keyword, and placement reports to better analyze the performance of various keywords/ads. However, I'm having trouble folding the placement results in, while keeping the basic dimensions I'd like.

I'm trying to use adID (Ad Performance Report, ID column), keyword, and domain (Automatic Placements Report, domain column); with the Search Network, I'll have something for adID and keyword, while for the Display Network, I'm expecting to be able to group along the adID and placement. In either case, I'm hoping to line up impressions, clicks, and cost data from the API reports with our internally collected revenue numbers.

For the keywords, I can join the Ad Performance and Keyword Performance reports by keywordID and everything works well; however, adID does not exist in the Placements report. Does this mean this combination of dimensions is impossible to use for analyzing the Display Network?

I have seen the thread at https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/adwords-api/-_6nYWMOgVs, but while that doesn't seem to have been totally resolved, the only suggested solution was to avoid using adID as a dimension (and instead go with adGroupID).

Thanks!

vinyl

Mar 16, 2012, 1:49:09 PM3/16/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Bump. No ideas? Am I posting this in the wrong group?!

David Torres

Mar 19, 2012, 2:05:42 PM3/19/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Short answer, it is not possible to cross-link an automatic placement by itself with and ad.

Automatic placements are not meant to be linked with the ad performance report but instead be analized and promoted to managed placements, then you can fully cross-reference them with the ad performance report.

Best,

- David Torres - AdWords API Team

vinyl

Mar 19, 2012, 9:09:23 PM3/19/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com

Ok, that makes sense - thanks!

Scott Desgrosseilliers

Jul 16, 2015, 7:03:20 AM7/16/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Is this now possible 3 years later??

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Jul 16, 2015, 5:37:42 PM7/16/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, scot...@gmail.com
Hi,

It still is not possible to get ad-level information from either the AdWords API placement reports or the AdWords user interface.

Note that the KeywordId field in the AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT will contain the ID of whichever criterion triggered the ad, not just Keywords. Therefore, for impressions that the single attribution model attributed to placements, you will get Placement criterion IDs in that field. However, it's highly likely that this will not be the case for many impressions for a given Placement.

If capturing the ad -> placement association is critical for your use case, you could include the {creative} and {placement} ValueTrack parameters in your URLs, and then capture that information in your tracker.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Scott Desgrosseilliers

Jul 20, 2015, 8:46:45 PM7/20/15
to adwordsapia...@google.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Josh, this was very helpful.

For now, doing a ton of cross-referencing between placements, ads, keywords, and various URL fields has given us what we need - it's a ton of work though.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AdWords API Forum" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/71a2a7e1-79bb-4626-bfc2-346256ed462f%40googlegroups.com.

Scott Desgrosseilliers

Александр Великий

Aug 8, 2017, 7:50:22 AM8/8/17
to AdWords API Forum, scot...@gmail.com
Will ValueTrack parameters allow to get impressions in some way?

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 8, 2017, 9:09:18 AM8/8/17
to AdWords API Forum, scot...@gmail.com
Hi,

ValueTrack allows you to add various attributes of each click to the tracking URL template and final URLs of your account, so by definition the ValueTrack parameter values are for a single impression. If you want to get metrics such as impressions for a given date range (across all your clicks), then you'll want to use reports. Check out the Reporting guide and the list of reports for more info.

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team