Do symbols in keyword.text override specified keyword.matchType?

Evan

Oct 18, 2016, 1:35:06 PM10/18/16
to AdWords API Forum

We've built an ads editor which contains a series of keyword inputs. Upon submission, each input value is sanitized and will only include valid characters. We then explicitly set match type via the API.

I was wondering what would happen if the user input itself contained match type symbols that conflicted with our explicit setting.

For example, if I set,

keyword.text = "[baseball cap]";
keyword.matchType = "BROAD";

would this configuration BROADly match the text "[baseball cap]" (with brackets) or would it EXACTly match the text "baseball cap". Or would it ignore the brackets and BROADly match "baseball cap".

In order to test what would happen, I created a campaign through the API to experiment. My AdGroup contained each of the symbol variations of "baseball cap". However, each keyword had its match type explicitly set to BROAD

When I opened the campaign in the Adwords GUI, I could confirm that the text retained its inputted symbols and had been designated as BROAD match type (even if the symbols were denoting PHRASE or EXACT).

For example, he UI had the following values for our input text "[baseball cap]":

Text: [baseball cap]            Match Type: BROAD

 However, when I gave focus to the text input, the UI's validator would take over and update match type to EXACT (as long as the brackets remained).

Should we therefore be checking user input and using it to set match type (according to the detected symbology) on our end? Or will any overrides be handled by the API despite what I saw initially in the GUI?

Thanks!

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Oct 18, 2016, 4:58:06 PM10/18/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

When adding keywords via the AdWords API, you should set the Keyword.text attribute to the keyword without any of the special match type symbols. Those symbols exist as a convenience for users of the AdWords user interface, but in the AdWords API you explicitly set the match type to avoid any ambiguity.

In your experiment, I would expect the keywords added via the API to have match type BROAD before you edited them in the user interface. You could confirm this by retrieving the keywords via AdGroupCriterionService or by running a KEYWORDS_PERFORMANCE_REPORT and including the KeywordMatchType field. I suspect that when you started editing the keywords in the user interface, the user interface symbol processing kicked in and switched the keywords to EXACT.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team