ad customizer with IF functions not working

agiz...@hitsearchlimited.com

Jan 13, 2017, 9:35:22 AM1/13/17
to AdWords API Forum

Hi, just wanted to ask if the 'if' function for ad customers is fully rolled out to all advertisers? I am trying to set this up for audience targeting in Headline 2 and I keep getting following error message and it would not let me save the ad:

'One of your functions is being used incorrectly. Please check the proper format and try again.'

I am using the following function:
  • {=IF(audience IN(<userlist1>,<userlist2>),text to insert):optional default text}

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Jan 13, 2017, 3:29:28 PM1/13/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

The changes related to customizing the ads with IF functions will be rolled out over the next few months. However, you can verify if this feature is enabled in your account. While editing any one of your ads, type in a "{". If you see a drop down with the 'IF Function' in it would means that your account is enabled for this feature. Please check our Ads Developer blog post for more details.

Thanks,
Sreelakshmi, AdWords API Team

Rotherhithe_m

Jan 16, 2017, 7:10:15 AM1/16/17
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks Sreelakshmi for the clarification.

I wanted to ask something related to the IF Function on ad customizers:

Can you have 2 different ads using the IF functionality based on audiences on the same adgroup?

Eg Let's say there are the audiences "mailsubscribers", "cartabandonershighvalue", "blogvisitors"

Can we have on the same campaign different advert for each of them using the IF Function?
Is the best execution here to include default text on all of them or not at all and have a separate ads for the non Audience searchers?

Thanks in advance

Ilias

Joyce Lava

Jan 16, 2017, 11:09:48 PM1/16/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Ilias,

I am responding to this thread on behalf of Sreelakshmi. Since this feature will be rolled out in the coming months, I recommend keeping an eye to our blog to check on announcements regarding this.

Thanks,
Joyce, AdWords API Team

Martin Roettgerding

Jan 17, 2017, 6:28:26 AM1/17/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hey,

We basically have the same question: When will this be available? The blog post says that it's rolled over the next few months. I'm not sure how to read this – the "over" seems to imply that some accounts get it sooner than others, until the rollout is complete. Is this correct?

I'm asking because we're doing what you suggested: typing { when editing an ad. However, as an agency we have more than a few accounts and this gets really time consuming and frustrating. So far, we've found this nowhere.

Could you clarify whether this is a gradual rollout or not? Better yet, could you provide a more effient way to check for this (one that doesn't involve manually checking every account)?

(Yes, we are really eager to try this out :)

Cheers

Martin

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Jan 17, 2017, 11:09:39 AM1/17/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Martin,

This roll out will spread across the next few months.
Unfortunately, the only way to check if your account is enabled for IF functions would be as described in the blog.

mark pitchford

Jan 31, 2017, 9:23:19 AM1/31/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi, I can see the roll out now but having an issue with the syntax for audiences, I've followed the exampels from developer blog using;

{=IF(audience IN(12334455,)new text):old text}

I'm getting the error;

One of your functions has invalid if condition. Please check the proper syntax and try again.

Is there any guidance on the syntax/more info?

thanks

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Jan 31, 2017, 2:26:44 PM1/31/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Mark,

You could check this document for more information on the usage since this includes examples as well. You will need to use the name of the user list within the IN condition and also remove the extra comma in the condition. Let me know how it goes.

Additionally, could you confirm if you are testing this in the production account or a test account?

mark pitchford

Feb 1, 2017, 3:42:04 AM2/1/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Sreelakshmi,

That's great thanks for the link, I'm going to give this a go today & let you know. It's in a live account.

Thanks,

Mark

d...@anicca.co.uk

Aug 3, 2018, 5:00:03 PM8/3/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi all,

I had the same issue and it was because I had a comma in the statement so it thought there was another argument;

  • {=IF(audience IN(<userlist1>,<userlist2>),welcome back, blah blah blah):optional default text}
Just corrected to

  • {=IF(audience IN(<userlist1>,<userlist2>),welcome back. blah blah blah):optional default text}

Anicca Digital Ltd
Website: anicca.co.uk
Phone: 0116 254 7224
Main Office: 1 Abbey Gate, Leicester, LE4 0AA

Terms and Conditions: Read Here
Registered Office: 19 Warren Park Way, Enderby, Leicester LE19 4SA.
Company No: 06984338. VAT registration number: 156 864375.

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 6, 2018, 3:53:00 PM8/6/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello,

Thanks for sharing this. It would be really helpful for other users on this forum facing the same issue.