Third Party ads are not being returned from the AdGroupAdService

Ad-Juster Inc

Apr 7, 2015, 5:23:36 PM4/7/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
This is similar to the following post from 2011: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/adwords-api/adgroupadservice$20third$20party/adwords-api/PLHUMGqSiS4/XT7YFg4XRfQJ
The post states that the ad type was deprecated in 2011 and yet they still exist in 2015, so I am hoping since they didn't go away, there is a way to retrieve them programmatically, and I am merely missing some mundane detail.

We are trying to pull Ad objects of type "Third party ad" through the API using the AdGroupAdService endpoint but are getting a response with an empty list(<totalNumEntries>0</totalNumEntries>). However, the ads do show up in the AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT so the entries should be returned. We are ultimately trying to pull the ad tag information that was trafficked into the ads.

Please let me know if what I am trying to accomplish is possible through the API for this ad type, and if not, what alternatives I have to programmatically pull this information out of adwords.

Thank you for your help!

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 8, 2015, 10:16:49 AM4/8/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just wondering, are you referring to ThirdPartyRedirectAd? I think they are supported only in AdxBuyer accounts?

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

Ad-Juster Inc

Apr 14, 2015, 12:22:00 PM4/14/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi,

I don't believe it is a ThirdPartyRedirectAd, but I could be mistaken. In the User Interface, the Ad type is listed as "Third party ad". Would you classify this as a ThirdPartyRedirectAd?

As far as being supported in AdxBuyer accounts: Does this affect only the API? These ads appear in the Ad Performance reports pulled through the API and the ads also show up in the UI so they appear to be supported for the account. They only do not show up in the API call to AdGroupAdService to retrieve the list of ads.

What other information I can provide to you to help with your diagnosis?

Peter

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 14, 2015, 3:32:56 PM4/14/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi Peter,

I'm guessing that since the ad format was marked deprecated in 2011, you should be able to retrieve this entry as a DeprecatedAd (meaning you'd get the ID, but not any additional details).

Cheers,
Anash

Ad-Juster Inc

Apr 14, 2015, 3:54:08 PM4/14/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi Anash,

There are two issues here:
 1) As you have described, then I would expect this to come back in the AdGroupAdService, which it does not. It comes back with 0 totalNumEntries when I specify a filter with the AdIds for these ads. To ensure that part of the code works, I've also specified AdIds that are of type TextAd and those objects are returned.
 2) I do need the additional information. So having it return as a DeprecatedAd will not suffice. Is there any way I can pull the tag information through the API, or any other means?

Thanks!

Peter

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 14, 2015, 4:06:56 PM4/14/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi Peter,

If the service is not returning the details right now, there might not be a way to get the details for this Ad from the API. Just so I can confirm, could you pls share the AdId and AdGroupId?

Cheers,
Anash

Dorian Kind

Oct 18, 2016, 7:34:32 AM10/18/16
to AdWords API Forum, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi there,

sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just now experienced the same issue.

Third-party ads are being returned in the AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT with ad type THIRD_PARTY_REDIRECT_AD, but cannot be retrieved when using the AdGroupAdService.

The ads in question are third party ads from Google's DoubleClick Campaign Manager (DCM, formerly DFA), and as far as I know they are not deprecated in Adwords. At least there's nothing in the documentation that says so: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/94230.

Are there any plans to make these ads accessible through the SOAP API, or will they just be visible in the reports?

Thanks & best regards,
Dorian

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Oct 20, 2016, 12:00:03 PM10/20/16
to AdWords API Forum, pe...@ad-juster.com
Hi Dorian,

As far as I know, there are no plans to expose these ad formats in the API.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.